Hot plates

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
india
State/Location: NSW

Hot plates

Post by india »

Hi all,

We're looking for a class set of hot plates as one lab has only 2 gas outlets! Was wondering if anyone knew of a good place, thanks in advance for your help :D
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Hot plates

Post by Merilyn1 »

At present, we only have a couple of good quality hotplates, one with a magnetic stirrer and one without. As these are quite expensive we also had one domestic single hotplate. The teachers that had used this one were really happy with it and preferred the better temperature control than a bunsen. I have ordered another eight hotplates which have cost us about $65 each. I think most of the suppliers have them, flick through some of the brochures that get sent out. You can also buy these at electrical stores.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I have just knocked my magnetic Stirrer hotplate off the bench and totally smashed the ceramic plate under the actual plate.
Into the bin for that one :cry2:
My question now is, as I look at a replacement, should I get simmerstat or thermostat controls?
It is mainly used for agar and heating solutions that will disolve better heated.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

fibreweb wrote: .....should I get simmerstat or thermostat controls?
It is mainly used for agar and heating solutions that will disolve better heated.
We have the IEC thermostat hot plate for the prep room and Simmerstats for the classrooms.

You can use either but I find the thermostat one is better for making up agar plates and the likes , it heats up quickly and holds the temp...but..the calibration is out by about 100% .

If I want 75degC I have to dial up 150degC and 90 deg has to be set to nearly 200deg .But now I know where to set the knob its fine .
I can use the simmerstats but they are slower to heat and won't hold a set temp as they depend on heat loss to the environment to maintain temp equilibrium ...OK for close enough temp requirements
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I got a double hotplate from Science Supply- "kitchenpro-twin portable cooktop and hot-plate"- for about $80 or thereabouts. So far so good. It's good as you have only the 1 cord and kids can work from either side of the bench- i:e 2 groups.