Ferrous sulphide sticks

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Ferrous sulphide sticks

Post by bigmack »

I'm confused as to the safety or potential hazard of these things . Ever since I've been here I see them with a CSIS label which has them as a 4.2 spontaneously Combustible . There is also a Flammable solid diamond label been attached .
It is stored in an old glass jar with a ground glass lid with grease on the seal .

Risk Phrases
. Spontaneously flammable in air
. May cause fire
. Ingestion may produce health damage *
. Cumulative effects may result following exposure
* (limited evidence)

Safety Phrases
. Never add water to this product.
. Do not breathe dust
. Keep container dry
. Use only in well ventilated areas

I looked up CSIS manual appendix D and it has it as 7-12 , not hazardous . DG 4.2

I looked up a few SDS's , Chemwatch has it as Hazardous to aquatic life with a DG Miscellaneous goods 9
another manufactourer sds had it as non hazardous .

So how dangerous is it ?
If I was to remove the lid , would it burst into flames ?

EDITED : CCSC to CSIS ...LOL Mondayitous
Last edited by bigmack on 13 Feb 2017, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Ferrous sulphide sticks

Post by Labbie »

Taken from CSIS Chemical Safety in schools page 137 Appendix D.
Iron (II) Sulfide Toxic if ingested. Reacts with acids to produce toxic hydrogen sulfide gas otherwise harmless. Disposal: Solid waste of this chemical may be disposed of in the garbage. Green dot 7-12 DG 4.2.
If you are a DoE school, it is stored with your other 4.2 chemcials, Chemwatch may have as it Miscellaneous goods 9, but our bible is still the CSIS. Unless you are private or indep school. Which has other rulers and laws.
It will not burst into flames, do not worry.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Thanks Labbie . In CSIS I will trust but good to know it won't burst into flames :whistle:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Well I'm really having a fine time in the Chem store .
After cleaning up a busted jar of Magnesium Powder , I went looking for all the Flammable solids and making a collection of them when I discovered two jars of Ferrous Sulfide have expanded and cracked the jars . I'm getting quite nervous that lately there seems to be a lot of strange activity going on which I suspect is due to the constant wet weather we have had for the last year or so .

I checked on CSIS and Risk assess and both say these can be disposed of in garbage .
Ferrous Sulfide.jpg
I have found about a trolley full of Flammable solids . We have never had a Flammable Solids Cabinet but I feel its time .

Curious how many others have them or not .
Flam solids.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
labbassistant
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

Wow, good find.
We have one, its the same size as our flam liq, I think 200L approx. It was here when I got here. I think it's great, stores everything and easy to find it all.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

labbassistant wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 14:44 Wow, good find.
We have one, its the same size as our flam liq, I think 200L approx. It was here when I got here. I think it's great, stores everything and easy to find it all.
Thanks labbassistant
I told SAM about all this and with out question and the usual rant about having no money ,BOOM , Flammable solids Cabinet on its way \:D/
Can only fit a 60 Liter in but that should be ample for the amount I have . I guess dropping phrases like " spontaneously combustible in Air " and " releases Flammable gasses when wet " helps :D
labbassistant
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

Definitely! We just got approval for a new corrosives cupboard, a poly one too!