gauze mats with solid centre

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

gauze mats with solid centre

Post by RosalieL »

This may be a really obvious answer, but why do some gauze mats have a solid centre? It's a white circle... What are they used for?
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Re: gauze mats with solid centre

Post by Anna Z »

heat distribution is my guess, so you don't have direct flame on glass.. but don't know for sure
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Think that's it. There was some problem a few years ago with these types of mats containing asbestos but any you purchase now would be fine. I've never had any experience with them to know if they last longer, work better etc.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Yeah, I thought the point of the gauze mat itself was for heat distribution... I could only think if it was something that needed a gentler heat.... We have a heap of them in a box, brand new. I also have new normal mats coming soon. Maybe I can get the teachers to do an experiment with half the class boiling water with a normal gauze mat and the other half using the solid centre mat and see what happens!
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland

Post by mtg »

To stop the beaker going black, and to distribute the heat nicely. The "new" ones fall apart more quickly in my experience. They are also nice and stable.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School

Post by Anna Z »

We have a mix in our labs... kids just grab randomly. Have never had a teacher ask for one or the other.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Anna Z wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 10:06 We have a mix in our labs... kids just grab randomly. Have never had a teacher ask for one or the other.
Good to know!

And thanks everyone! I will keep the box of new ones with the solid bit and use them as the others get destroyed.