Glass tubing

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
elaruu
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: SS
State/Location: NSW

Glass tubing

Post by elaruu »

Hi everyone,
Just wondering where to source glass tubing from? Has anyone bought any recently? I'm specifically looking for capillary tubing. Long pieces that can be cut to various lengths.
Thanks!
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Re: Glass tubing

Post by Anna Z »

We use the glass pasture pipettes
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

We got some from Haines a while ago.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Yeah, Haines, Science Supply Australia can help. There are also capillary tubing sets that come with capillary tubing with different internal diameters - all cut and ready to go with bungs.

I had a teacher show me once how to make very thin capillary tubing from glass pipettes. I ended up with more burns than tubes! She made it look so easy...
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

Thanks all. I may be blind, but I can't seem to find any from Haines or Science Supply Australia.

I don't want the capillary tubing sets, just some capillary tube with one internal diameter. It's for several different uses, but specifically this time it is for a prac where they make thermometers - glass tube in conical flask with coloured water with rubber bung. Changing the temperature of the water makes the it go up and down in the tube. We had some glass tubing, so they have done the prac, but there wasn't enough, so I wanted to buy some more for next time.
littltesttube

Post by littltesttube »

The last delivery here was from Seratta more than 6 years ago. I would try glass suppliers.
https://www.labdirect.com.au/glassware/straight-tubing/
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

Try a Haines search:

Tubing Borosilicate Glass, 5mm x 0.5m pk/10
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

Anastasia wrote: 27 May 2024, 14:22 Try a Haines search:

Thanks. Haines doesn't seem to have any with capillary size inner diameter. I think I want about 1mm internal diameter.
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

Hmmm, it doesn't seem to exist anywhere that I can find. I wonder where they got it from in the past :-?
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

Try emailing Haines sales, I emailed earlier today for a different query and they were quick to respond.
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

OK, thanks. I'll give that a go.
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

elaruu wrote: 27 May 2024, 14:28

Thanks. Haines doesn't seem to have any with capillary size inner diameter. I think I want about 1mm internal diameter.
Glass pasture pipettes would do the job, snap off the end bit :)
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

Anna Z wrote: 28 May 2024, 07:45
elaruu wrote: 27 May 2024, 14:28

Glass pasture pipettes would do the job, snap off the end bit :)
Sorry to be difficult, but I can't really see how they would work in this instance. They need to be about 25cm long, as the prac is to have ice water, measure the level of the coloured water in the tube, then increase the water by 50 degrees and mark the level. Then divide the difference by 5, so that each marking represents 10 degrees. Also they have to be able to tightly fit into a rubber bung, otherwise the pressure doesn't build up enough.
(when they did it recently one of them didn't work, and when I investigated it was because the hole in the bung was slightly too big, so it was a bit loose)

We have "just" enough for now (6 tubes of the right length), but I know they will ask for more in future, so I wanted to have some ready.
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

Ahhh I see, we seal with blutak and would use a smaller temperature differential so I guess the shorter length works. Good idea sourcing more.
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

Anna Z wrote: 28 May 2024, 11:33 Ahhh I see, we seal with blutak and would use a smaller temperature differential so I guess the shorter length works. Good idea sourcing more.
Thanks! Great idea with the blutak (sometimes the simplest solutions escape me! :D ). I'll suggest that for next time if I don't manage to find any.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland

Post by mtg »

elaruu wrote: 27 May 2024, 12:27 Thanks all. I may be blind, but I can't seem to find any from Haines or Science Supply Australia.

I don't want the capillary tubing sets, just some capillary tube with one internal diameter. It's for several different uses, but specifically this time it is for a prac where they make thermometers - glass tube in conical flask with coloured water with rubber bung. Changing the temperature of the water makes the it go up and down in the tube. We had some glass tubing, so they have done the prac, but there wasn't enough, so I wanted to buy some more for next time.
We use soda glass tubing not capillary, heat and stretch it then snap the middle, seal the fat bottom. I need more and struggling to find it too.
RosalieL
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

would something like this work? It's not capillary but still quite narrow and has the markings on it already. The 2ml ones are similar OD size to the other tubing. We have some capillary tubing here (a long length). It was purchased from Serrata which is now MTA before my time. I couldn't find it on the MTA site.

https://www.chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451/product/5 ... rological/
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

For some reason that link is not working for me, RosalieL. I would love to know what it is
RosalieL
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Look up 2ml serological pipettes with your suppliers. I found some cheaper ones the other day but don't remember where (I can't open the link either). They come in plastic or glass.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

elaruu wrote: 28 May 2024, 14:54 For some reason that link is not working for me, RosalieL. I would love to know what it is
Westlab blocks links to other science supply businesses . ......I guess thats fair :whistling2: ....they pay the bill