Flammable liquids cupboard

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
cheltie
State/Location: NSW

Flammable liquids cupboard

Post by cheltie »

WE currently have a flammable liquids cupboard with no vent. Every time you open the door you get a face full of fumes.
We are looking at buying a cupboard with vents but I was told you cant have it venting into a room with other chemicals stored. We only have one chem store.
We then looked at having it vent into the extraction unit but apparently this is dangerous too. Does every one else have their flammable liquids cupboard vented separetly or are they stored in a seperate room?

Thanks for your help on this.
Helen
rp

Post by rp »

hi Helen
you cant have it vented otherwise it wouldnt be safe from fire.
I have ours in the chem store that has got extractor fans but I still hold my breath as I open the door.
I dont think there is alot of options.I worry about those Hydrocarbons but I dont know what else we can do.

see you soon Rhonda
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

We also have an unvented FLC in the chem store, but I haven't noticed much of a problem with the fumes.
buggman
Job Title: Lab asst
School: Redeemer Lutheran College
Suburb: Rochedale
State/Location: QLD

Post by buggman »

I have a flammable cupboard that has been directly vented into the fume hood. Before opening the door I have to switch on the extractor in the fume hood. This cupboard is in the room with me, and no the ventilation hasn't helped the smells.
Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

One of the main causes of fumes in flamables cabinets is containers with non sealed lids. Flamable liquids should be stored in glass with a screw to lids. If stopped bottles are used vapours will be released
Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

One of the main causes of fumes in flamables cabinets is containers with non sealed lids. Flamable liquids should be stored in glass with a screw top lids. If stopped bottles are used vapours will be released.
Another possible cause is storing substances other than flamable liquids in your cabinet.

Sorry missed the "p" in top, should have checked.
Miranda
State/Location: VIC

Post by Miranda »

Ours has a chimney up to the ceiling, and I've never had trouble with any fumes from it.
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Thanks for all your help with this. I am still not sure what we are going to do but it has been great to get all your ideas and information.

Helen
Robb

Flammable Liquid Cabinet and Fumes/Vapours

Post by Robb »

Hi Cheltie,

Flammable liquid cabinets are designed to be flame proof.

Flame Proof (meaning that it cant burn) this means in the event of a fire the contents will be contained. There is a "Sump" at the very bottom of the FLC this is to capture and contain any leaks from damaged or leaking packaging containers.

The Australian Standards relating to Flammable liquid Cabinet manufacture require the cabinet to be non-ventilated.

I would over time check each bottle or container and just ensure that the lids have not been breached by the contents.

I would also clean the inside surface of the FLC including the doors, walls and not forgetting the sump. Some vapours from Organic Chemicals permeate or absorb into the paint and continue to release vapours.

Doing this will certainly alleviate the problem.

Organic Liquids can be stored in either HDPE plastic containers or Glass containers. This depends on the type of Organic liquid obviously, but either can be used. Eg Acetone, Toluene, Chloroform, Hexane and Cyclohexane etc must be stored in glass containers as these liquids dissolve HDPE plastics.

I hope this has shed a bit of light on this subject for you...

Robb....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Pete
State/Location: SA

Re: Flammable liquids cupboard

Post by Pete »

cheltie wrote:WE currently have a flammable liquids cupboard with no vent. Every time you open the door you get a face full of fumes.
We are looking at buying a cupboard with vents but I was told you cant have it venting into a room with other chemicals stored. We only have one chem store.
We then looked at having it vent into the extraction unit but apparently this is dangerous too. Does every one else have their flammable liquids cupboard vented separetly or are they stored in a seperate room?

Thanks for your help on this.
Helen
Hi Helen

Some extra advice from this end....
Flammable Storage Units can definitely be vented to the outside. The vent would include a spark arrestor that would prevent an external flame source from igniting the contents of the unit. It is our standard in SA to vent to the outside both Flammables cabinets and Corrosives storage units. With the best of will it is not possible to prevent the build up of vapours in non vented units. Apart from the human exposure, it's also a problem with condensation on the inside of the cabinets and on the contents, and the destruction of labels.
The external venting works best if there is positive ventilation into your storage area, so that when you open the door the fumes are forced up the venting and not back over you.
Small extraction fans that are non- arcing and safe to use with flammable vapours are readily available and can also be fitted to the external venting system.

Hope this is some help.

Pete