Enzyme Experiments.

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Enzyme Experiments.

Post by judygee »

Hi guys, need some advice! We are doing some enzyme experiments (Amalase, Trypsin) and am wondering if using the more expensive Starch and Milk powder (from Southern Biological) would give us better results, or should I just stick with the Starch and Milk powder purchased from the supermarket? Any suggestions? What do others do? Looking forward to your reply. Cheers. Judy.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Enzyme Experiments.

Post by RosalieM »

We just used fresh milk from the staffroom fridge! Do a search for enzyme prac or something similar because there was a lot of discussion about these pracs a few weeks ago and you might get some more useful information.
Rosalie
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I have previously tried it with dried make up milk, as well as fresh. The skim milk never works well for me.
So I only ever buy fresh, full cream milk for that prac.
Lunchroom fridge for the trials!
judygee

Post by judygee »

Thank you Barbara & Rosalie - I took your advice and checked out the previous posts on this subject and got some helpful hints. However, this time (because we were pushed for time!!!) we went with the milk from the staffroom and had reasonable success, but I think next year we might have to have a big rethink about these Enzyme practicals because some work better than others as you know and it is very dissapointing for students if they don't get the expected results! Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Cheers. Judy.
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

judygee wrote:it is very dissapointing for students if they don't get the expected results!
A Science teacher I had in High School said "That in Science if you get something 100% correct then you have done something wrong" and I try and tell the students that if I am helping them out with a prac., most just laugh but some take it on board