colour coding again!

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

colour coding again!

Post by Kathryn »

Hi
Just to recheck about this colour coding. For paints used in Art, if they contain solvents they should be classified as orange (yr 11/12) correct? Is this even if they are in only small containers eg: 50mls, and you know they are going to be used for yrs 7-12?

kathryn :lol:
Robb

Colour Coding for Paints

Post by Robb »

Hi Kathryn,

To answer your question, will paint it is a good guide to use the following

Solvent Based - Colour Code. Blue. K - 12
Oil Based - Colour Code. Blue. K - 12
Watr Based Acrylic, PVA, Vinyl. Blue. K - 12

THe paint thinners or stripper are the Orange 11 - 12

This will get you out of trouble and conforming to Chem Safety.

Hope this has helped..
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Hi Robb

Are you sure solvent based are blue?? Petroleum and white spirits are listed as orange in the CSIS manual?

kathryn
Robb

Colour Coding for Paints

Post by Robb »

Hi Kathryn,

Keep the solvent based paints as per the 7-12 (Green) category.

Petroleum is specific to 11-12.

White Spirits (mixtures of paraffins, cycloparaffins and aromatic hydrocarbons) white spirits will fall under the 11-12 category, being that of a poisonous flammable liquid.

Page 182 of appendix D will certainly help in this cause.
Keep on track as this will help out heaps.

If you look at Petroleum and White Spirits for instance, you could say that these are raw materials, but Paints they fall under a different category. (As they contain binders and other solvents identical to paint thinners).

I Hope this has alleviated any headaches regarding the paints.

Let me know how it goes,

Robb..........
Last edited by Robb on 03 Aug 2006, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Thanks - that has been very helpful. I was just a little confused when you said blue when I think you meant green ie 7-12.
Now for another question...... What would the colour be for things like washing or dishwashing powders which may contain 90% of things ok for 7-12, but 10% of something more nasty? 8O

kathryn
Robb

Colour Coding Again

Post by Robb »

Hi Kathryn,

You are certainly on the right track.. Thanks for picking up the small error regarding the colour code. I have edited my post to the correct DET colour code for the 7-12 category.

Back to business... The Detergents and Dishwashing liquids will be classed as the 7-12 (Green) category. Detergents are very stable so there are no need for specific segregation or locations. Having said that all you need to do is identify the locations on the Inventories I gave reference to (as per the above appendices) and this will solve this problem.

This should help out helps.

Hope all is going well,

Robb................
University of Newcastle.

Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Ok here I go with another question???? What colour code do things like flyspray come under? I will be so glad when I have this all sorted out!

Kathryn
Robb

Colour Coding, Again!

Post by Robb »

Hi Kathryn,

This can certainly be a daunting process I know, but at least others that read these messages can also benefit from all of this as well.

just think, when this has finished at least there is a template for updates in the future.

The Fly/Insect Spray will be a 7-12 (Green) category.

Make sure that the relevant MSDS for each fly/insect spray brands are on hand, access to these MSDS's are via the Chemwatch website.

This should help immensely..

Robb........
University of Newcastle.

DJ

Colour Coding

Post by DJ »

Hi Y'all,

Have there been any updates to Appendix D regarding colour coding since the original was sent out to all schools in the original CSIS package?

From the time it was created there have been chemicals used in schools that were not listed in App. D. Changes in pracs done have also introduced a few other chemicals, also not listed in Appendix D.

I have MSDS for these chemicals, but the only place I know of to clarify the correct colour coding is good old Appendix D.

As you can see, I don't work in a DET school, so if updated information is on a DET only website, I don't have access to it.

Any suggestions?

Regards DJ
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Hi Robb

Thanks again for your help. You obviously have a vast wealth of knowledge and experience and I appreciate you sharing with us.

How did you determine that flyspray is green ie: is it in there manual somewhere? Someone else told me she classes anything with hydrocarbon propellant in orange because of the risk of it being used near open flame.

Kathryn
Robb

Colour Coding Again

Post by Robb »

Hello Again Kathryn,

To answer your question I have gathered the relevant information from the MSDS’s and meticulously gathered what I know from this. This way it enables you to accurately determine the correct colour index for the item.

To put this information into a Risk Assessment certainly outlines the relevant colour coding index. This way it has been identified correctly, including how the item is to be used accordingly.

Although the Flyspray contains a Flammable hydrocarbon (Butane) it yet does not warrant a higher category. I guess what I am trying to say is, that it is the Active ingredient or constituent is of interest here, this is going to determine if the product/item is of a hazardous nature or not.

Keep in mind that Ethanol is Highly Flammable but yet it’s categorised as a Green Colour!!

I hope this has broadened your experience and certainly added to your repertoire of understanding.

Robb…
University of Newcastle.

Robb

Updates for CSIS

Post by Robb »

Hi DJ,

After you login, browse down the announcements until you reach the last announcement for NSW. It is called Keep Updated with Chemical Safety Updates.

I posted this announcement when the Chemtalk web site was new. It gives you the web address for the updates that there is, and there certainly has been since the beginning of the CSIS program, and instructions on how to get to them!!

Make sure you read and follow all instructions as this is detrimental for having the relevant access to it correctly.

I hope this has made things easier..

Robb....
University of Newcastle.

Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Re the fly spray & colour coding.
Your school may have internal policies and procedures, such as administration controls, risk assessment etc. that determine that students are not to have access to such non-educational substances such as fly spray, white board cleaner, etc. So if this is the case.. why have a green dot on these products.. it may give the impression that they ARE to be handled by students. Just an example.. we lock ours out of reach. R-S
Robb

Colour Coding indexes for Flyspray

Post by Robb »

Fly-Spray and other substances are of course a non-educational item. The confusion lays within the colour coding system for this item. Although Green, Blue, Orange dots are used for our indication of student/staff use it also doubles as an indication as to the Toxicity of a substance. The colour code comes from the immediate nature of the substance of interest.

Flysprays will not be in a location for students or student ease of use, these substances are usually hiding in a cupboard somewhere out of normal use and or sight, therefore student access will not be an issue when it comes to any use for this item.

The contents however can be used by students if required in an experiment (although unlikely due to difficult methods and specific chemical reagents), but due to it's inaccessibility of availability this will not be the case.

Just Remember as items appear on the Appendix I for other chemical substances, some may not necessarily be directly aimed at student use but safety in general. Including Staff members.

Hence: the outcome of the Green “Dot”.

If you determine to restrict student use of this product by locking or securing a location this is fine, but thinking on the same level, the Green colour code does not mean that this determines student use either.

It is possible to have these locked away in a store room or a cupboard, but the outcome is to determine whether the item is safe for use or not and by whom. (This is indicated by the use of this product at home). This is totally up to the individual.

The Risk Assessment I have devised are to determine the relevant control measures that may need to be put into place when this item is used. The indication coming from this is to prevent exposure to flames and to use this item in areas only affected by the insect activity. This in itself restricts the use regardless of the people involved.

I hope this has shed some light on a confusing issue relating to Flyspray and the colour coding indexes.

Robb……..
University of Newcastle.