CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn
State/Location: NSW

Axlotil advice needed

Post by CC »

Hi all

Does anyone out there in labbie land know anything about axlotils.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Axlotil advice needed

Post by Slartibartfast »

Yep, their legs grow back when they've fallen off, oh, and they love to eat worms. Do you have some already or are you getting some? They make great and unusual pets.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
CC

Post by CC »

Hi Richard

We have been given a tank full of eggs and I would like to try and clean out a bigger tank and then grow them on.
smiley

Post by smiley »

All I know is that they're very sensitive and cark it when you're not looking! They don't like being stressed, so adopt Richard's attitude, which seems to be "hands off or die" :thumbup:
An admirable sentiment.

Cheers, K 8-)
bindi

Post by bindi »

I remember looking at a book in a aquarium shop some time ago.
I deal with a guy who works in the local aquarium shop he has always been a great help. If all else fails call Herman on 02 99771758.
Good luck
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Found this for you:

Introduction to an Unusual Salamander
The Axolotl may not a common pet, but it is very unique. The axolotl is a type of salamander, native to Mexico. It's scientific name is Ambystoma mexicanum. The common pet or laboratory Axolotl refers exclusively to A. mexicanum, although in Mexico the term Axolotl is used in reference to several species of Ambystoma, and is considered an edible food source!

The Axolotl is neotenic, meaning that it doesn't routinely undergo metamorphosis from the larval to adult form, as happens with most other salamanders. Instead, the larval form (with gills) becomes sexually mature and reproduces, maintaining a strictly aquatic life style. Under some circumstances, the Axolotl can undergo metamorphosis into a terrestrial from, although this can be stressful on the animal.

The Axolotl has amazing regenerative abilities - if injured, even to the point of losing a body part, the Axolotl will heal readily and even regenerate lost bits.

They are fairly hardy creatures that can be expected to live up to 10-15 years with attention to proper care, particularly with respect ot water quality. Their skin and gills are very sensitive and quite soft, so handling is not recommended any more than is necessary. Because they can exchange air through moist skin, they can survive outside of water for short periods, as long as their skin is not allowed to dry out.
Juvenile axolotls can be cannibalistic towards each other, so they are best raised in separate enclosures. Adults can potentially be housed together but watch for cannibalistic tendencies. Of course, if a body part gets bitten off by a tank mate, an axolotl can regenerate it over time.

A Tank for Axolotls
Axolotls can get quite large, so I would recommend at least a 15-20 gallon tank, although the tank doesn't have to be full - just a bit deeper than the length of the axolotl is okay. Most owners will find a filtered aquarium easier to maintain; without a filter their water will need frequent changing. However, the filtration rate should be fairly slow and avoid powerful filters that create strong currents. A siphon can be used to vaccuum the bottom of the tank, and a 20 percent water change should be done weekly. If you are not usind a filter, you will have to do a 20% water change every day or every other day. Never do a full water change as this creates a situation where the water chemistry changes too drastically.

Tap water should have any chlorine or chloramines (added during the water treatment process) removed using commercially available solutions. Never use distilled water. The pH of the water should be 6.5-7.5.

Gravel
If gravel is used on the bottom of the tank it needs to be coarse gravel. Fine gravel might be ingested during feeding. Some keepers simply leave the bottom of the tank bare, although others believe this may stress the axolotls a bit since they can't get a foothold on the bottom that way.

Temperature and Lighting
The tank should be kept in a cool room away from bright sunlight. The water temperature should be kept cool, between 57-68 F (14-20 C), and never above 75 F (24 C). No special lighting is required, and in fact a place to get out of the light may be appreciated, such as a half flower pot or aquarium type castle.

Feeding Axolotls
In the wild, axolotls feed on snails, worms, crustaceans, small fish, and small amphibians. In captivity, they can be fed brine shrimp, small strips of beef or liver, earthworms (wild caught worms can carry parasites), bloodworms, tubifex worms, or commercial fish pellets (e.g. salmon or trout pellets). If feeding these fresh items it is best to feed a variety to get a better balance in the diet. You can also get special axolotl feeding pellets. Uneaten food should be cleaned from the tank daily.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
CC

Post by CC »

Thanks all for your assistance. I went on to the web and researched. I have now set up my tank and the little darlings are in the eggs and squirming around. They are amazing, they are about half a centimetre long but you can tell that they are axlotils. They should hatch over the weekend and then they can be moved into there new tank.

I will keep everyone posted

Cindy.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Well I learned something today! It says water should never be over 24o C. Our fishtanks never get below 24oC! No more axolotls in the tropics for me.

Cheers K 8-)