Suitable Shoes

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Suitable Shoes

Post by Labbie »

Sue, where you buy your New Balance 621 (Think that is right) from, please??
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sharonm

Post by sharonm »

I also have Doc Martins and have had them for several years. As previously mentioned they cost a bit but last along time. I suggest you take your orthotics with you and see what suits you.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Yes, your Kumfs are tax deductable. I always save receipts on things like that.

Years ago I was shown some uniform trousers that were claimed to be acid-resistant - in that they wouldn't dissolve immediately if you spilt little amounts of yourself. Reading the label for myself, I discovered that they were made of polyester viscose, which is the same material as Millers range of basic trousers and shorts. So guess where I buy now?

Cheers, K 8-)
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa

Post by pkij »

After months of searching, we have a very limited supply of black lace up comfy shoes here. I eventually bought ROC shoes from Mathers, they come with their own inner soles for different widths of feet, are leather and very comfortable, and look smart, they cost about $80. They have a bit of a heel so it means I don't have to take up my pants so I am not tripping over them! (and thats the short length too, pants are not made for the height challenged among us! :oops:
kimm

Post by kimm »

Just a quick one - I noticed in the conversation someone was wearing Clogs - are they legal ??- to me they are not fully enclosed and still open to spillage accidents.
bindi

Post by bindi »

Yes its me the clog wearer! (they are not the big wooden type like the Dutch). I am not sure if they are legal or not but nurses and chefs also wear them. They are not loose and go around the sides of the foot but the heal is exposed! When you walk they lift with your foot and you dont drag your feet like you would think.
I wouldnt wear them if I was pouring concn.acids all day and moving large quantities acids about but around the lab they are fine.
Also recomended by 'foot doctor' excellent support for working on your feet most of the day.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I'm with Andrew!
For years, when I was in "Maintenance", I wore good old Blundstone steel cap, elastic sided work boots. Comfortable and hard wearing (and they USED to be Australian!!). When I moved to Science, my Head Master insisted that I trade in the King Gees for casual slacks and a business shirt, and I was not allowed to wear my work boots. Now I wear Blundstone lace up steel cap shoes. Just as comfortable, just as hard wearing, I can wear to church on Sunday, and my tax accountant loves them! Go the Blunnies!
cheers
Ian :D
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Blundstones are the bees knees safety wise but Doc Martin shoes and boots are the most comfortable footware this side of old Dunlop Volleys with holes in them! I've got 2 pairs of each and love them to bits. The oldest - over 12 years old are the most comfortable and oblivious to almost any spill in a lab.

My brother got some Bull Ant desert army boots for me the other day with the view of me using them at the farm. I'm only a size 7/8 and he got me a 12 and they come up almost to my knees when laced up!!!!! I think he's used his own dimensions to measure them up! Steel cap, very comfy sole and construction second to none!

The army doesn't use the standard 'size' of footware that 'normal' people use - there are 4 sizes/dimensions to make up the correct fitting of a boot for a soldier!

I'll have to stuff loads of paper in the toes to make them fit as they're too good to donate to a mate, although my mum has shown an interest in them to do the gardening in.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
smiley

Post by smiley »

Surely that merits a photo Richard. Boots up to the knees. Sounds like when kids try on Dad's boots.

Cheers, K 8-)
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

A pic of me or my mum?

I would but I have chicken legs with knobbly knees. Doesn't stop me wearing shorts year round though!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Now you just need another pair of the same army boots and then your goat can wear them, a photo of that would indeed be funny. However then people could say "Your goat wears army boots"
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

C'mon you two! (Smiley and Slart) This is a "G" rated site. 8O

I'll spare you from looking a my huge 130kg hulk, Richard, if you will spare me looking at your your "chicken legs with nobbly knees"!!!!! :unsure:

I do wish they would let ME wear shorts, at least in the Summer time :-(

cheers
Ian :D