Microscope repair

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill
State/Location: NSW

Microscope repair

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to science and also have a new head teacher so we are both new to this job. I would like to know where I can send microscopes to be fixed. It is a monocular scope and the lens is blurry. I have cleaned it but it hasn't made any difference.

Hope you can help

Rosemary
nat
State/Location: NT

Re: Microscope repair

Post by nat »

Hi Rosemary,
Just a suggestion, but are you able to swap the lense from another microscope that you know is clear. If this works, you could buy another lense instead of sending the whole unit away (as it may be a bit costly). Are all the lenses cloudy, or just that one? Have you tried to clean the lense with a tiny bit of window cleaner on both the outside & inside the lense? You may be able to get inside with a cotton bud. Allow it to dry completely before you have a look down the M/Scope.
Cheers
Nat
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

hi Rosemary,
I am next door to you on friday morning (Terra Sancta), pop in and I can give you address
Cheers Jazz
rosiegbh

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi Jazz,

Thanks for the info. I will try to visit tomorrow after 1pm. I now also have another monocular microscope MOTIC brand that has a problem with the high power objective and wont focus. Also do microscopes have to have a yearly check by a technician? or do they just keep on going until they wear out.

Rosemary
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We can only do minor repairs, and clean the microscopes, I do this once a year if I do get time. If I can not repair it, I call a chap by the name of Edward Bishop on 46 31 10 56
or mobile 0429 304 492. He is very good. He is at Appin, do call him.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

hi
sorry but i'll be at Schofields campus at that time but give me the call
Cheers Jazz
rosiegbh

Post by rosiegbh »

Thanks Sue for your help. I now have my own computer in the science lab so can access chemtalk without going to the front office and borrowing one there.

Rosemary