Bench Tops

for anything else that doesn't fit.
JudyM
State/Location: NSW

Bench Tops

Post by JudyM »

After all these years I'm finally able to have the bench tops in the Prep Room replaced. :thumbup:

If anyone has had theirs replaced recently I would love to know what you chose and whether you are happy with it.

Anything 100% stain resistant and chemical resistant would be perfect but I guess there's not much chance of that. Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks
Judy
kimm
State/Location: QLD

Re: Bench Tops

Post by kimm »

Hi Judy, Just a quick note on colours and patterns.
We have had 3 labs replaced since i have been here - the first bench top are in chemical resistant laminate - in a multipatterned multicoloured design - they are now 10 years old and still look great - there are silver nitrate stains on them - but they do not stand out due to the coloured shapes. They still look new.
Our newest 2 labs - benches were covered in chemical resistant laminate again but in a straight blue - they are only a year old and have a few burns (from our yr 8ers) and some stains on them - these bench tops don't hide any blemishes and make them look older than their years.
cheers
kimm
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

Thanks for that Kimm,

I probably would have gone for a plain colour but having a pattern makes much more sense.
Does anyone else have other surfaces they can recommend?

Cheers
Judy
coxy

Post by coxy »

Definitely not old, rotten chipboard, which is what we have. Although the DET did come in a couple of years ago and replace sections of one or two labs - not all the benches mind you, just a metre on one side, half a metre on another, and rotting boards in between. Who knows what their mind is like on the inside?
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

We have had a blue/grey fleck for 8 years and they still look great. The other colour that looks great in our rooms are the desks. We have used black laminex on them. You can't see any grafitti unless you are up close. We are getting new 'open learning' buildings where they wish to combine the art with the science space. Guess what colour the bench tops are? WHITE!!!!!
Imagine, if you, what I said to the architect!
Good Luck
Maree
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi Jude,
you can probably guess my answer to this!!!
Liz
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Hi Kimm

We too are having our science labs upgraded, and my HT has asked if you could take a couple of photos of each bench top. We are hoping to pursuade the architect in our favour.

Thanks CC
lita*

Post by lita* »

Surely the most logical solution would be to have stainless steel benches like in hospitality?
It seems they upgrade hospitality first then science, should have the same crew in, to install a similar setup.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Judy
We are having our 6 Labs demolished and new one's put in place with only 8 benches and they are Black tops
We get 3 Labs turned over to us on the 8.8.08 so I will have to see if Black is OK.
If any one can let me know if they have this new Black bench tops and what they are like and If they will be eash to keep clean I would be a happy labbie
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes but liquid paper, being white, stands out so well on black tops.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

Yippee!
I have had the last of my stainless steel benchtops installed during the holidays & a new stainless sink also. The tops scratch easily but the marks can be removed with fine grade steel wool.
Makes the lab somewhat colder but it's worth it.

Judy :)
kimm

Post by kimm »

Hey Cindy,
I have just returned from an extended sick leave and saw you wanted a photo - It has been months - do you still want me to get that photo for you or has the decision been made.
cheers
Kim
CC

Post by CC »

Hi Kimm,

Yeah a photo would be great no decision has been made yet we are still in the tendering stage.

CC
kimm

Post by kimm »

Hi Cindy - love to send you a photo and have just tried but we have a FANTASTIC computer system here that will not let me. I am on the student server side of the school and it is banning me. OOOhhhhh i love computers - have you an email address i can try to send it to.

Kim
CC

Post by CC »

Hi Kimm

My email address is Cindy.Tyrrell@education.nsw.gov.au

Thanks for all the time your giving me.

Cindy
kimm

Post by kimm »

Just sent you photos - hopefully it worked. I am just putting off scraping out pond scum- I think i can wait at least 2 more weeks before i get around to that chore.
cheers
kim :grin:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I can not see the photos???????????????
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
CC

Post by CC »

Thanks Kim

The photos are good and now we have something else to argue(discuss) in the staff room. I think the pond scum can wait at least two more weeks.

Cindy