Science Education Technicians Australia SETA

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Science Education Technicians Australia SETA

Post by Teresa »

Hi All,
Sorry it has taken me a while to answer the questions about SETA, but I wanted to make sure that I had the information correct before posting!

SETA is simply a small group of 6 interstate Science Technicians who regularly attend CONASTA, the Conference of the Australian Science Teachers Association (ASTA), each July as it travels annually from state to state. There are 2 technicians from WA; 1 from NSW; 1 from SA; 1 from Tasmania and 1 from Victoria. Most are current or past Presidents of their own state’s technician’s association or are highly proactive members of their associations.

SETA is not an incorporated association, not does it have a Committee or any monetary involvement. At present it is purely a platform for these 6 interstate representatives to discuss current national issues at CONASTA. Future discussions with the 6 SETA members could change its structure and in the future it may become a national network.

At the Adelaide conference in July 2006 they approached the ASTA executive formally to request their support in conducting a national survey. The 2 WA members (Teresa Gigengack and Marilyn Miles) have since been working closely with ASTA and Edith Cowan University (ECU) to develop the survey.

At present, SETA cannot offer support or advice to individual technicians other than direct them to their own state’s Technicians Association. An Interstate Technician Contacts list has just been established as a pyramid to share information including the National Survey of School Science Laboratory Technicians in Australian Schools. (You may recall my recent post asking for interstate contacts)

Interstate Technician Contacts

Australian Capital Territory:
Sylvia Towers sylvia.towers@ed.act.edu.au

New South Wales:
Margaret Croucher* margaret.croucher001@lasallebankstown.catholic.edu.au
Wendy Cottee jwc@sydgram.nsw.edu.au

Northern Territory:
Samantha Grinceri samantha.grinceri@ntschools.net

Queensland:
Sandra Lewis slewi4@eq.edu.au (President QEST)
Christina Jensen christina.jensen@brisbanegrammar.com

South Australia:
Desi Karlovassitis despina.karlovassitis@loxtonhs.sa.edu.au (President SA Lab Managers Assoc)
Sheryl Hoffmann* shoffmann@concordia.sa.edu.au

Tasmania:
Andrew Glasson andrew.glasson@eduacation.tas.gov.au (Southern Vice President TALT)
Jennifer Westren* jennifer.westren@education.tas.gov.au

Victoria:
Geoff Gleadall ggleadall@brightongrammar.vic.edu.au (President LTAV)
Dale Carroll* dcarroll@geelongcollege.vic.edu.au (overseas until Term 3)

Western Australia:
Teresa Gigengack* tgigengack@wbc.wa.edu.au (Co-Chair LABNETWEST)
(note this email will replace teresag@wbc.wa.edu.au during July 2008)
Marilyn Miles* mmiles@jwacs.wa.edu.au (Co-Chair LABNETWEST)

It is hoped that those technicians in States and Territories which have no Technician Association (i.e. NSW; ACT and NT) will contact their local representative and set up their own email distribution lists. This will then give isolated Technicians a lifeline and maybe someone will set up a state association for their area.

* Members of SETA as at July 2008

I hope this takes away the mystery of who SETA is!

Regards
Teresa
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie
State/Location: NSW

Re: NATIONWIDE Laboratory Technician Survey

Post by lizzieb »

Thankyou, Teresa

It's great to know these things are happening.

I would like to be involved in a NSW group - there's a real need out there for more 'education' of all kinds, but especially about our own jobs, our rights and responsibilities. As we've seen through this valuable forum, there's a wide variation in what each of us is expected to do, and how we are viewed and supported by our schools.
Thank you all so much for your enthusiatic feedback - it's the best support of all!

We've had a tough week here. A 15 year old Yr 10 student suffered a fatal heart attack 1st period Tuesday. Then yesterday my HT's house was broken into, while they were sleeping, and her car stolen (thankfully they are OK) on her last day here. Another of our staff had heart attack symptoms and I took him to hospital around midday - good news there, too, turned out to be his shoulder. Big sigh of relief.

Last day today - hooray!! I'm leaving early for a funeral - one of my best friend's husbands died last Friday.

Wish you all peaceful & joyful holiday. Treasure every moment with your loved ones.
Life's much too short .........

Blessings
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Lizzie,
My heart went out to you as I read your post... so much grief in such a short time!
Take care of yourself - am thinking of you
Pam
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Post by Teresa »

Hi All,
Thank you Lizzie for your kind words! What a week you have had!! I sincerely wish you a better week next week and a good break from school!

It has taken 3 years to get to this point with the survey and feel very excited about it all. This survey should give reliable information of the situation regarding technical support in science right across the country. However it will be the beginning of more work once the results are collated!

Regarding involvement in NSW, since there is no state technician association perhaps in the meantime you or someone could be a contact for the Tamworth region to liaise with Margaret or Wendy to pass on information.

For ACT, NSW and NT technicians who do not have a technician association, I encourage you to make email contact with the relevant contact people so that an email contact list can be developed. We envisioned a pyramid shaped network with area contacts that can distribute information in their areas. The main thing is to have some sort of communication network.

For technicians in states that do have an association, I encourage you to join your state's association if you are not already a part of it.

In addition I will post any developments regarding the survey as and when they occur to Chemtalk.

On Monday at CONASTA 57 we will be giving out more details about the survey and once that has happened, I will post that information to Chemtalk, depending on how soon I can access the internet.

Enjoy your holidays!

Regards
Teresa
Adam
State/Location: VIC

Post by Adam »

// Some may find this info helpful.
// Topic made into global announcement.
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Re: Science Education Technicians Australia SETA

Post by Mother »

Have just heard that the survey we are anxiously waiting for has begun its trek!!! One of the private schools here has received their copy.
Mother