Sulfuric acid Accident

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Sulfuric acid Accident

Post by Labbie »

As I have about 4 of these 2.5 bottles of Sulfuric acid. Once I have got a fume cupboard, ( Due to happen next month) I plan to put them into 500ml bottles, with the help of my Head teacher. Has any one ever come across a pouring/carrier?? We had work man in yesterday to measure up for this fume cupboard, had he said he would be surprised if their was not some thing we could hire, just for that job. Any idea folks \:D/
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Whenever I have been asked for the sugar and conc H2SO4, the teachers have always done the experiment, I get to clean it up and wash it with heaps of water, before I dispose of it.
I keep thinking of Rosalie, and hope she is ok, if anyone is intouch with her, please pass on my best wishes
Lisa :-)
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Hi everyone,
I was talking to someone who works at Epping with Rosalie and they said she has been very moved by all the messages of support. She still has quite a way to go with her recovery so keep those positive thoughts coming.
When I speak to her again I will let her know we are all still thinking of her.
Helen
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Ian,
A single plastic coated winchester carrier will cost about $20 or so. I occasionally use mine to assist in pouring acids into beakers. The wire is easier to grip than the bottle and I take extra care to make sure that the carrier does not slip on bench surface. Cost wise the 2.5lt bottles are cheaper than the 500ml in the same quantity, and budget restraints and distance from the supplier factor into my chemical orders. I have also just gotten a double winchester carrier because my chemical bunker - organics, corrosives etc is a short walk from my chem prep room and it will save doing double the walking for chemicals when I need to retrieve them. It really doesn't matter how far you have to carry a chemical, using a carrier is a lot safer.
Lyn
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

2 years ago, SSA supplied us with a 2.5L bottle of H2SO4 in a bottle that was shorter & wider than a Winchester, and (of course) it won't fit in the carrier.
Also, look out for the sugar dehydration demo; the fumes can cause asthma attacks. Better to use small amount (or sugar cube) in a 50ml beaker in fume cabinet. Less mess too!
Xe, SD, KOPR
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Yes. We always do ours in the fume cabinet.
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Post by Teresa »

Hi All,
There are a number of WA Technicians who subscribe to this site who would like to express their concern to Rosalie regarding her terrible accident with Sulfuric Acid.

How is she going now that it has been over 2 weeks since the accident?

Perhaps "cheltie" aka Helen Larson or someone else who knows her, could pass onto her our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Kind Regards
Teresa Gigengack
Co-Chair LABNETWEST.
Association of Science Technicians in WA Independent Schools
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Dear Teresa and other labbies,
I will be speaking to Rosalie today so will certainly pass on the the messages of good will to her. She was to find out this week if she needs to have skin grafts so is understandably anxious about that.
I'm sure she will be pleased to hear we are thinking of her. She has been very moved by all the messages of support passed on to her.
I have been doing a 4 day OH&S course wich is compulsory if you are on the OH&S committe at a DET school and I have been taking the opportunity to mention how dangerous our job is and how little training and support we get from the Dept.
Don't imagine it will do much but I had to say something.
Helen
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

The lab assistant that was here before me, in her infinite wisdom, brought Concentrated Hydrochloric Acid from one of the farm suppliers in a 15 Litre container that then needed to be "tapped" . "It was cheaper that way" was her excuse 8O :w00t:

The tap that was put in it was very difficult to turn on and only let the acid run out at a trickle. You were overcome by fumes every time you needed to decant some into a smaller container and also had to find a stool of the exact height to support your container whilst it was being filled. Thankfully we go through so much HCl here that it only lasted not much more than a year.

Needless to say I have never bought it like that again.

I forgot to say she moved to the library just after she bought it and didn't have to handle the major safety issues!!!!!!!!!

Wendy
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Post by Teresa »

Hi All,
Nearly 4 months on from this, I was wondering how Rosalie is doing?
Does anybody know?
Regards
Teresa
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi All
I also had a spill with conc h2so4 at my old school carring it from 1 building to an other and burnt my had between mt thumb and finger what pain so I fell for My name sake Rosalie.
I then went out an got a Wincherste carrier from Q Stores cost about $35.00 and is the best thing I have.
Can to Greytsanes and the first thing I did was got a Wincherster Carrier.
Hope Rosalie is OK We are all thinking of her and hope she gets better very soon.
Noona
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have also been wondering how she is .. I am sure all of us have kept her in our thoughts and prayers...