and any other non-chem subjects.
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Disposing of Preserved Specimens

Post by cactus155 »

I was wondering if someone has any advice/information for me regarding the disposal of preserved animal and other specimens which have been at my workplace since I started working here and are most likely preserved using Formalin (formaldehyde).

Thanks

Andrew
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

Re: Disposing of Preserved Specimens

Post by Sassi »

When I did my honours, I had to fix salmon eggs, I fixed (preserved) them in formalin but after a few day you need to change it over into ethanol, to store. It is my understanding that specimen are kept, stored, in ethanol and not in formalin as this actually degenerates (is that the right word???) the specimens, at least thats what we did at uni. In which case you can probably just empty down the sink with plenty of water... You may want to wait on some more advice though, as I am not 100% sure about this.

Anyways, good Luck!

Sanscha
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

In NSW the CSIS package states, we can use Methylated Spirits 50% and 50% distilled water, for Preserved Items.

Clean a jar, or container, we sterlised them, in milton tablets. Drain the Formaldehyde into a waste jar, to keep for collection. Pat dry the item, snake etc, put in clean container, and fill with 50% Methylated spirts & 50% dilstilled water. Put lid back on, a watch for a day or two, may need to de drained, and a fresh lot of mixed Metho & Water put on. Will worth all the fuss, they look just great, when we did them all. Can take a while. The old Methylated spirits & water, can be disposed of by evaporate, in the fume cupboard.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

After re-reading you note, perhaps you mean disposal of the speciemens them self??? Check with a Vet they may be able to help.

Sorry i may have misreading your note.
Regards Labbie

smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Bury them in the school grounds somewhere, and in ten years time you can do an archaeology excursion and dig themback up! :thumbup:

Cheers, K 8-)
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha :cheesy: What a great idea! Just for that you get some karma cumin your way :lol:
smiley

Post by smiley »

Cheers, sassi - and also with you!

Cheers, K 8-)
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

If your specimens are still in good nick it is worth following Pommy's instructions. I had a large quantity of specimens in formalin and used a 70/30 solution of metho to water when I changed the solutions over. If the specimen had to be handled I used gloves to protect my hands.
Lyn.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

If you really do wish to get rid of them. Why not put a list on Chemtalk, and perhaps other people may like them. Instead of throwing them away. =D> =D>
Regards Labbie

The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hi folks,
I know this is an old thread but I need help with a similar issue.

We have a reeking collection of "things" in jars that really need to go. I have no idea what the preservative is, what the "things" are or how long they have been in the cupboard. Most of them have the creature half exposed, due to evaporation of some of the liquid I guess.

I just want to throw them out into the skip but assume I have come up against the brick wall :banghead: as the chemical waste - I can't touch it and no one else wants to.

With a lab refurb imminent I am trying to empty cupboards of junk and this stuff is definitely junk.

Any suggestions?

Patti
The Search Engine
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

With our upgrade happening \:D/ and me having a major clean up I had a couple of boxes of jars of well and truley past there use by date :mrgreen: specimens. My GA took them to the local tip and got them disposed of. Sometimes they are just to far gone to be any good for any one.
A few that were ok but we had heaps of I took to the local primary school and gave to the year 6 teacher :thumbup: .

Kimmy
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Thanks Kimmy!
The Search Engine
smiley

Post by smiley »

Refer to previous answer. With all that building going on, what a wonderful chance to bury them somewhere for future archaeology trips!
Cheers, K 8-)