Classification of Position

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Classification of Position

Post by rae »

Hi All,

Our school (independent) has just signed a new work place agreementfor support staff.
I have been reading this and was just wondering what level of classification is the science technician in your schools?

Lorrae
jrach
State/Location: QLD

Re: Classification of Position

Post by jrach »

Hi Lorrae,
I have the dubious honour of being the first appointed lab tech for our school, so I was wondering the same thing. I have been put on the level of Administration Office 3.1 on the non government school officer'saward. As yet I don't have a job description, I think I am writting it myself as I go. Not sure if this helps.

Julie
jrach

Post by jrach »

Sorry Lorrae,
I should have also told you that I have an associate diploma in lab techniques which factored into the pay scale, however, I was surprised it was not more than it is.

Regards,
Julie
andrea

Post by andrea »

jrach wrote:Hi Lorrae,
I have the dubious honour of being the first appointed lab tech for our school, so I was wondering the same thing. I have been put on the level of Administration Office 3.1 on the non government school officer'saward. As yet I don't have a job description, I think I am writting it myself as I go. Not sure if this helps.

Julie
:D Hi evryone. I am under an independent school's award that was renewed last year .When I started I was placed under school assistant's classification level 2 ,have progressed to level 3 & am now fighting to get reclassified to level four ,which is the highest level I can progress too.. I have a real gripe :mad: about the way we lab technicians are grouped in with admin staff but unfortunately I think it will take a lot of agitating to the union & schools to get awarded a seperate classification as do the maintenance staff from the admin staff. If anyone needs a job description just let me know & I will happily e-mail it to you.It might vary slightly from the tasks you perform but it could be of help in arguing for reclassification , pay rise etc.
Regards. Andrea. #-o #-o
bernie

Post by bernie »

I work in a girls catholic independent school in QLD
We went thru the reclassification process a few years ago
Classification was based on work required, level of responsibility and qualifications.
The catch was it was what the school deemed required of the above not what we actually did.
It was up to the individual to prove that they needed a qualified person working to high ability to get the top level
Here in QLD in the independent system most Labies are classified as a 3 or a 4 with a few at level 5

It definately was hard work to show that there are special skills require in a lab as they don't want to know because then they would have to pay for those skills

I was lucky after 2 years of arguing my case I finally got a 5.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

In NSW DET schools, we are also part of the SAO School Admin Officer team. So is the lady in the Library, Home cooking, + Science (Me). As far as i know it has always been that way. Even the PSA web site, has us down that way, they are our union, although their is another union PSSA I think. Each year I am asked to type out my work roles etc. My SAM Senior Admin Manger would not know what I do. I answer to my Head Teacher of Science, SAM, & the Principal.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
jat

Post by jat »

I am employed at School Assistant Level 4 and have been since I started here 7 years ago. I think they paid me at this rate mainly due to my experience (at the time 32 years working in Labs) and my qualifications (Diploma in Chemistry)

I think they may have taken “pity” on me as I left a position in the State Public Service (the EPA) at twice the pay to come here, but it was the best decision I ever made in my life. I love working here and even when we have those stressful days it still beats working in an understaffed and you may not believe it but overworked government job as well as no more driving down that M4!!

John
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Julie[/quote]
:D Hi evryone. I am under an independent school's award that was renewed last year .When I started I was placed under school assistant's classification level 2 ,have progressed to level 3 & am now fighting to get reclassified to level four ,which is the highest level I can progress too.. I have a real gripe :mad: about the way we lab technicians are grouped in with admin staff but unfortunately I think it will take a lot of agitating to the union & schools to get awarded a seperate classification as do the maintenance staff from the admin staff. If anyone needs a job description just let me know & I will happily e-mail it to you.It might vary slightly from the tasks you perform but it could be of help in arguing for reclassification , pay rise etc.
Regards. Andrea. #-o #-o[/quote]

Hi Andrea,

I would love a copy of that please, as i am just about to sit down and write it my self, this might help me save some valuable time! sanscha.aberg@hotmail.com

Thanks heaps!
kerryw
State/Location: VIC

Post by kerryw »

Hello I would like to see examples of other lab techs role descriptions, especially those in different states. Could you please email them to me privately. Thanks Kerry
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

JOb Description - Whatever the Science Teacher Can not do or does not want to do the Lab Assistant does.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hope this comes through ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bindi

Post by bindi »

I am In a NSW catholic independant school and classifed as a Lab Tech Support L5.(highest)
If you are a member of the Teacher Union (support staff) you can check your pay scale on the internet.
I was informed last week that our pay rates are to go up next month but still feel we are very underpaid in what we do and there are techs who are earning much less.
I also find it very hard to swallow how our profession is so under paid!

:-(