having a very bad day.

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

having a very bad day.

Post by Labbie »

I had a flexi day yesterday, and have decided not to do any more flexi days. Too much work to caught up on, if you have a day off. Sick or flexi, work so hard to get every thing ready to have a day off. And come back to so much more work, I really think it's time I changed jobs, with a bad ankle since last year, I can not get around so quickly. I have some people coming out to assess my ankle and my work. I have just had enough :yuck:

Perhaps i will ask to go to the office somewhere.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Re: having a very bad day.

Post by Jen1 »

Sorry to hear you're having a bad day Sue.
Your advice on this website has been tremendous.
Hope things pick up for you soon,
jen
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Don't let 'em get to you Sue!! 8-)

Hang in there :coffee:

Julie
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

No! Don't give it away!!!!! If you did it at work and it's troubling you they need to get someone to help you in the labs. There are ways around everything to help you in your work environment and if it means the staff need to be made aware of your injury I'm sure they would be very understanding and help to make your day easier.

We all hate having days away for exactly the reasons you've stated and returning to the mountain of work left for you is always hard, but hang in there and do what I do, vent yourself here it always makes you feel better telling those who are in the know!

+You'd be bored s***less in the office (please excuse the French)

+ We need you here!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Dear Sue,
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. We would certainly miss your input if you were to go to the office.
We are having problems here as well. We are finally having some new classrooms built but while the building work is going on the only access to 2 blocks is via the stairs. Where I used to trolley the heavy things around I now have to carry them. The result has been a very sore neck.
While the teachers are trying to help I find I am now making lots more trips as I can't pile up the trolley with lots of orders but have to carry them one at a time.
A job in the library is looking very good at the moment.
The assistant principal came up the other day (a rare event) and I was having a quiet sob over the sink while I was washing up. I think she thinks I'm a crazy woman. (She's probably right).
Hope your ankle gets better soon.
Helen
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Arrrrrrgh! Sue & Helen! How did it ever get to this? What are your OH&S people doing about it? It's not on. Get answers.

I'm passionate about workplace safety because of personal experiences, we all should be. I enjoy what I do and want to continue doing what I do until I don't want to anymore, not because of someone elses failing. And failing you is what they are doing.

The level of ignorance in some schools as to what some of us put up with has no place in Australia in 2008 and has to be seen to be believed. They sometimes need a good slapping and Workcover are very good at that. Sobbing over a sink sadly won't get responses but the threat of a massive fine and closing the said labs will. They can and do do it, more often than they let on.

It's all $ to the schools financial controllers and they will complain whether it's a new block of classrooms or a box of paperclips. You have rights and they have reponsabilities.

It's great your having new rooms put in but you shouldn't suffer in the mean time. Older schools are shocking in particular and the old 'we have no money' line is rubbish as it will come from higher up if need be. It's usually far more expensive for your states education dept to medically retire someone than to fix a workplace health and safety problem. They just need reminding sometimes.

Don't ever think "oh it's only a small issue" or "I don't want to make a fuss and rock the boat" as you'll be regretting those thoughts later when it's a much bigger irreversable issue. Make a fuss and make as much noise to as many people as you can.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
bindi

Post by bindi »

Hey Sue,
We are use to looking after everyone else we forget about ourselves!
Richard is right! Thats why we hav OH& S & unions.
The staff will manage with out you!
Let them get a reliable exchem/bio student in to help clean up till you get better.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

After I wrote "Having a very bad day" I had thought it was a very silly idea, but you all have been so helpful, and Richard again you are right. So I'll have a good think over the weekend, been to the Doc's he said keep going.

Thank you everyone you have help't me =D> =D> =D>
Regards Labbie

Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Sue,
I feel for you deeply! I have been reduced to 4 days per week this year and get EVERY TUESDAY off. Exactly the same thing!! There is still the same number of classes and same number of pracs. All my MSDS's have expired and the "powers that be" have decided that the new MSDS's should be printed in colour and laminated and put in the tray with the prac stuff. Virtually doubles the work for every prac involving chemical. The colou photocopier and laminator are a LONG way from Science. I must have made 6 trips today. (it will be easier when they are all done, I know) At the moment, we are gearing up for multiple Prac exams in several years. My prep room looks like a bomb has gone off in it and my HT can not see beyond his own nose. He thinks that the only work I do is what I do for him. I feel like I am barely holding onto my sanity.

Get this one. I have a Year 10 Chem prac exam 1st period on Tuesday after the Easter break (120 vials of various powders filled and lablled and 90 dropper bottles filled and lablled, plus the setting up.. The Chem teacher is away on a course on the Thursday prior to Easter. She asked me if I could come in on Tuesday (my day off) to help out. Any OTHER Tuesday would have been fine! We'll see!

Hang in there Sue. I find that a little appreciation goes a long way, and you are appreciated around THIS group!

All the best
Ian :-)
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Been such a busy term - Wk 7 already. Our work can be very demanding, and draining – sometimes it’s hard to find the joy. I am so grateful for all of you out there in the Chemtalk ‘etherlands’ - your goodwill, cheerful support and laughter keep me going. Please hang in there, Sue and Ian, for all our sakes. Must have been something in the air last week, though - my story’s a real doozy too. Better grab a coffee…. :coffee:

Tuesday I spent half the day making up the phenolphthalein agar, ready for Thursday. The prep room set up is an OHS concern when preparing this prac, as my bench space is limited. I had 2 lots of agar going, each on a hot plate – these are set up on an old trolley (without wheels). Only have one 2L beaker, and it’s survived a couple of years now, but not a very thick glass – then I remembered Whspa’s disaster last year, so used 2 thicker 1L beakers instead. Also did a second batch in the microwave for a smaller tray. That’s definitely my preferred method, but only one microwave available, and it’s in the staff kitchenette down the corridor, and would take too long to do it all that way. Thankfully they all worked 1st time, big relief, especially when 2 huge boxes from Serrata were waiting for me next morning.
However, I then found an order for 500mLs each x 2M, 1M & 0.5M of 7 different acids, all to be made up volumetrically, for Thursday morning. I asked teacher and then HT whether I could have more time, but was told that order had been placed in staffroom on Tuesday afternoon, and that I still had 24hrs. Asked SAM for help, but none available.
So I said I would do my best, but could not work overtime like I often do. (This week I started work experience at a café in the evenings, hoping to find a second job, as my youngest of 6 is turning 16 this year).
Had to juggle just to find empty bottles, also we now buy our distilled water and there wasn’t that amount at hand, but by the end of the day (my second with only one quick break, and I am diabetic) I was pretty pleased to have made up 7L – the 1 & 2M’s, although I could not get the last solution to dissolve. This was one I’d not been able to identify by the formula given, HCO3, until HT said it was bicarb soda. Tried it again next morning, but still no luck. Queried it with the teacher when I took it in to the lab, as it seemed to be saturated to me, even the 1M.
She came in after the period to say I’d made up the wrong solution. I explained what I’d done, even showing her my SI Data book. After some searching, she asked if we had any Carbonic Acid. None in my manifest, so I looked it up in CSIS to check for common names. Soda Water!
Thankfully we could laugh about it all then - I said intended to frame that prac order!
On the plus side, it was a good opportunity for my HT to observe me mixing solutions for my Cert lll Traineeship. This is my first training (in 5 years), other than the Conferences in Sydney, and I’d only been shown the volumetric method last year. Maybe also a chance to renegotiate the 24hr notice for pracs. Now that we're on 4 period days, and they forget or put them in late, it's very difficult to juggle everything - or even have enough equipment.
Rest of the week very busy catching up with everything else, but at least on Friday I took 2 breaks!
Alrhough I haven't even opened those new boxes yet....
Oh, BTW, the work experience was fun, & I was told my coffees were drinkable, but boy I’m glad the weekend’s arrived!
Another blessing, too – after all that I went in on the spur of the moment to see if I could get a ticket to Don McLean‘s concert here next Wednesday night, and I did – so guess who’ll be singing American Pie the loudest, and from the second row, no less. I’ve earned it!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Its Monday morning, and I think we all need a hugh pat on the back, from each other. I'll see how things pan out this week, keep going. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> to you all.
Regards Labbie

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

You'll find that Science is such an unknown area to most SASS/SAMs and that it is the area that most needs a hand (even an green one) but is the least likely to get it. Most SAMs have no background in our area but have worked in office/Library/Home Ec/Teachers Aide so those areas get help when asked for, even when not. Your school/TAFE/Uni whether private of Government will have a standard student:science assistant ratio. Find out what it is and whether it is being adhered to or not. If not, get you head of faculty to ask why.

Really, we should be getting our HT's to jump up and down on our behalf at meetings and to our SAM's as they should know our workload in conjunction to where the curriculum is at.

I get help when I need it and it doesn't need to be someone who is intimate with the workings of Science. Someone that can cleanup, wash glassware, clean benchtops is fine while I get on with the more complicated stuff.

It's pretty ordinary when our health suffers as a result of overwork and lack of help, but take leave and see a doctor and/or the staff welfare officer at your district office with all documents if you need to. Thats what leave is for. I know we'll have a lot of work to return to most times but really it's an SEP (managment speak for someone elses problem)

In a time of accountability, my best advise is to keep ALL medical paperwork even for things you think are not associated with work ailments. I keep all mine and always get a doctors certificate no matter how many days I've had off and I get photocopies because, working 2 jobs it's a balancing act and both employers blame each other if I'm away for any reason. If they misplace any (happens a lot in schools) I have the others.

The education Dept will always ask where are the supporting documents if you come to their notice with an ailment caused by your work especially one that you've had for some time. If you have them they have no recourse but if you don't well.... it's open to their interpretation even though they have no medical training themselves.

I've got mine from day 1 with the Dept. - 14 years worth! My health is important to me and I want to look after it.

And another thing... we have the 24 hours notice for pracs but if a lot of solutions need to be made up or it is a complex time consuming process for making up a prac, insist on more time unless your a timelord or somesuch. You cannot be expected to accurately make up volumes of solutions if time doesn't permit. I tell my staff they aren't being fair to me, themselves and other staff for such a short sighted request. They know what they have coming up weeks in advance so there is no excuse on their behalf. Us on the otherhand have a whole faculty to run.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Wow. I am stunned! 24 hours notice! How on earth do you get your teachers to comply with this? my HT often rings me from the classroom and asks me to bring her something RIGHT THEN> I have tried to insist on sufficient notice - but to no avail. I have been my own worst enemy though over the years - trying to be helpful etc. I often worked 40 plus hours (paid for 30 hrs at the time) AND took paper work home as well. After an incident last year, I realised that I needed to work to my paid time. It is difficult, because they now think I am being very difficult - but I am determined.
And Sue, sorry you had a bad day - keep on going tho - it is worth it
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

OH....Hope youre ankle gets better soon. I mean, its not like you are able to 'crawl' along the prep room.

I went off to Bio camp last week with the students.. 3 days. The work back here has piled up.. no clean glassware etc.
And I am covered in bruises from my falls(at camp), and twisted my foot. Very painful to get around on at the moment. Wouls love some big fluffy slippers with in-built ice pack :oops:
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes big fuffly slippers with ice packs yes yes yes :cheesy:
My poor ankle and foot would love that.
Regards Labbie

labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

Mushroom,
Richard is absolutely right-on. The teachers' know weeks in advance what they're doing, and they have no right to place you in an unsafe predicament, with on-the-spot requests. But, as you said, you can be your own worst enemy by trying to be helpful. I suppose we all tend to do that a bit, but do remember, as Richard also pointed out, that your health is important, and at the end of the day, your responsible for that.
I have started at a different school this year. I have gone from full time at a school with approx. 750 students, to three days(Mon,Wed & Fri) at my new school with approx.550 students. This job was full time last year, but, due to the annual cull of SSO hours, science lost out. It is a new thing for the teachers to get used to as well(not having a labbie every day) but they are very supportive of any rules/suggestions to make it work for everybody. One of these suggestions was to give me one weeks notice for pracs. Sound ridiculous?? Not when you think of situations like Easter, when I will knock off on the Wednesday, and not go back until the following Wednesday. Just remember, your time is as important as anybodys, and how you manage it, is your prerogative, because other people don't see all that you have to do. Don't be afraid to get tough!!
To Pommy and Rainbow-Sky, I hope those feet are on the mend. I can't think of much worse than trying to do our job with a sore foot!!
Cheers,
Lisa
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I think we should all put in for the big fluffy slippers and ice packs

all we would need , is that they are covered in at the front, non slip soles, and a couple of those protective dust covers over the top. Think our HODs would notice? :whistling2:
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

mushroom wrote:Wow. I am stunned! 24 hours notice! How on earth do you get your teachers to comply with this?
I find that there has to be a lot of "Give and take" really. I went home at 3:45pm yesterday,(knock off time = 3:30). At about 4:00pm or so, my Chem teacher wrote a prac in the book for period 1 today (!!!)
Precipitation Prac, needing about a dozen different solutions. At least she was happy to help me load up the trolley! (and very apologetic) The same teacher gave me her order for a Prac Exam for Easter Tuesday, about a fortnight ago. Almost too much time! It is all sitting on the trolley ready to go. If they are nice to me, I will bend over backwards to help them. There are staff that I tend to be a lot less willing to bend over backwards for.
Have a good week end all, and hope your foot improves soon Sue

Ian :-)
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Mushroom,
We are qall so superhuman and flexible, that the teachers know that they can count on things being there.
the results of this though, is often to detriment our own selves, causing stress, overwork etc.
I know how hard it is. I have taken to not cleaning away pracs unless the appropriate labels are in the tray.They can sit there for a long time.
That was the plan all along, but last year I decided to stop thinking so much for the teachers( Mind-reader IS on my job profile), and only use that amazing foresight to get myself ahead to take the pressure off ME.
Having said that, I wonder whats happening tomorrow :coffee: