for anything else that doesn't fit.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

No teachers, no kids - BLISS!

Post by RosalieM »

Hi all,
I have just had from Tuesday till today with no teachers or students - it is excursion week for years 7-10, and 11 are doing study skills, yr 12 have exams. I've had the time of my life!! I asked for a helper for the week and had 2 days approved, so one of the teacher aides came in to help me on Wednesday and Thursday. I'm on my own again today. We did a complete overhaul of the storeroom (filled 2 wheelie bins!), have gone through all the benches in the labs, checked all the light boxes, made a HUGE pile of things I need to fix 'someday' (hopefully before they are next needed - but at least now I know they are broken BEFORE they are needed instead of finding out when the kids go to use them!) and have had my dishwasher installed \:D/ Due to the dishwasher installation I haven't tackled the prep room, but that is today's job. I was hoping to make up more stock solutions this week but I don't think it's going to happen. At least now when I have a week with not so many pracs to do, I can get on with jobs like that instead of using that time to find the space to set up my stuff, and of course by then, the requests are coming in again, or the equipment i've sent out is coming back, so I lose my space almost as soon as I find it! Now I have lots of space, and I have made homes for equipment, so I think my job will run far more smoothly from now on - here's hoping!
Have a good weekend.
Rosalie
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Re: No teachers, no kids - BLISS!

Post by Ian »

Many many years ago, when I first started working, I worked at OBERON, near Jenolan Caves. A couple of times a year, we would have a "Snow Day", when the busses could not get to school because all the roads were closed due to snow. The school was so small that we did not have a lab assistant, so I had to be the teacher there! On snow days, all the kids would either stay at home or just stay outside having a continuous snow fight until recess when the principal would send them all home. Some of my best memories of those days were locking myself in the store room and finding all the weird and wonderful equipment that had not seen the light of day for many years and PLAYING, PLAYING, PLAYING!!! I have always thought that it is a real pity that schools have to be spoiled by the introduction of KIDS!
Thanks for triggering the memories, Rosalie
Avagoodweegend!
Ian :-)
lada

Post by lada »

Ian, we spent october long weekend at Jenolan caves, what a wonderful place. The caves, the walks, the fresh air .
It was bliss.
Because we left after lunch, we had to go to Sydney long way around through Oberon. Very nice indead.
Still dont know what naket means, do we??
lada
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Hi Lada,
I was in Oberon last October Long Weekend! 4 of my kids and I were staying in tents in the Oberon Caravan Park, (just across the road from my old school! You should have called into say hello as you passed through, although we may have been down at the Dam throwing worms at the fish. (Not that we saw ANY sign of a fish all weekend!) Jenolan Caves is where all the kids get their holiday and after school work. Kind of like McDonalds in the "Big Smoke"
regards
Ian :-)