Sudan III

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Sudan III

Post by sunray18 »

Help! If this is banned what can we use to replace it? We use it as a test for oil in Senior Science ... has anyone else got some prac to replace it with? 8O
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Sudan III

Post by fibreweb »

We use brown paper to test for oil in the Senior Biology and year 8. It goes sort of translucent when there is oil present.

I refused to use the Sudan III because of its carcinogenic properties (been through that once and don't wish to do so again) and also because it is almost impossible to clean up. It sticks to everything and won't come off with water.

Wendy
lada

Post by lada »

Same here. I will not use it, so teachers slowly turned to brown paper. I told them they welcome to use it, but I will not touch it, well guess what, brown paper was just fine \:D/
lada
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Ok, I am officially confused. Where did you find information that Sudan III is banned. In CSIS book is OK, Chemwatch as well, it is orange 11-12, but it is not banned. PLEASE EXPLA in:unsure: IN
Cheers Jazz
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

HELP!!!
In Senior Science we do a prac where we use Sudan III to distinguish between oil-in-water and water-in-oil in skin products... eg Nivea creme hand creams etc... has anyone else out there done this one?
I can't work out the difference and why it matters, :unsure: but the teacher can .. which is what matters anyway..
BUT - what can we use if we cant use Sudan III???? :-o
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sudan II is BANNED to be used as a food additive.but it can be used in the labs. It is dye used for colouring solvents, oil, waxes. It has orange dot (years 11-12 only)

Sudan I-IV are synthetically produced azo dyes which do not occur naturally in food. Dyes of this kind are, therefore, considered to be additives and must be authorised for use in foods.
Cheers Jazz