Goldfish

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Goldfish

Post by sunray18 »

I have had goldfish in the classroom for yonks. But suddenly they are not well. have fin rot and white spot. I havent added any new fish or plants so have no idea where it has come from. Have checked water condition. Any ideas out there? I dont have a lot of time at my disposal so any quick remedies would be welcome.. the poor things are miserable! :-(
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Goldfish

Post by Slartibartfast »

When was the last time you did a full/partial water change? Do a 3/4 change and if this has no effect seperate the fish if possible and obtain liquid treatment for your fish' fin problem from pet store - usually 50-100ml bottle.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Thanks for that - looks like that takes care of what I was going to do for lunch today!
It's a bit of a shock when you havent had any problems for a few years and you come in on a Monday to find your fish looking miserable ...
Has anyone seen what happens when a naughty student adds a little detergent to a fish tank? A few years ago it happened to me at another school - and i was met at the door to the lab with the foam - the whole lab floor was covered with foam to about 20cm deep.. #-o
and NO the fish didnt survive... :-(
lada

Post by lada »

Dont laugh. My husband was working for CSIRO and was away on research vessel for about a week. I was home looking after a baby boy(now 31yrs old) and tank full of tropical fish and a cat, must not forget the cat. One fish got sick, I fished him out and put him in a strong solution of mercurochrome ( or
permanganate).Anyway, sitting in container on top of tank and bloody cat jumped up and knocked the lot into the tank. So ALL fish died and I had to tell my husband. But I also had good news to tell him- he was going to be a dad again. Boat only had a radio contact(no mobiles or sattelite dishes those days) so everybody heard, that I killed his fish and got pregnant while he was away :cheesy: :cheesy: I had some bio lesson to teach them . :wink2:
Anyway back to the problem of gold fish, I have used succesfully antifungal remedies from petshops.
lada
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

I am engaged to that baby boy (now 31yrs) and he is currently away on a research vessel, while I am all alone at home with my cat and our fish (no baby). Well I woke up this morning to find our feeder fish turned pet, belly up in the tank... So now I am facing a similar call, lets hope history wont repeat it self further and I have to tell him about a pregnancy too :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

oh thank tou for that laugh today ... one of my fish died last night... :-(
lada

Post by lada »

Oh, sorry to hear that :cry2:
Lada
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Have just caught up on the last week or so. Loved Monday's posts, thanks girls.
This website is such a godsend - keeps me in touch, makes me feel I'm still part of the human race!!!

Blessings to you all out there in Labbie Land ...........
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!