and any other non-chem subjects.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Help!! Sudan III vs Sudan IV

Post by RosalieM »

Hi All!
What's the difference between Sudan III and Sudan IV? I have a prac requesting IV but I only have III. The bottle says "stains for oils and fats" or something like that, which is what the prac is on, so I just want to know if it will work. I'm heading to Sydney (as of after lunch yesterday) at 11am today with some kids for cross country (gotta love variety in a job!), and don't get back till late Wed night and the prac is for Thursday!
Thanks!
Rosalie :)
lada

Re: Help!! Sudan III vs Sudan IV

Post by lada »

Looked up The laboratory and it said:
Sudan III or IV is a fat stain....
Than how to make it and as a footnote Sudan III or IV is a suspected carcinogen.
So there is no difference but i would refuse to use it. :yuck: :yuck:
Lada
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thank you!!!
It's already made up in dropper bottles so it's just a matter of handing it over to the teacher. I'll let them do the worrying!
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

The sudan III went in the water, not the oil... Any idea why??? I didn't make it up so it was possibly made incorrectly... The kids are in doing the prac right now. I might try to make up a fresh batch for them to try later. I don't think they'll be getting through the whole prac today anyway.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Rosalie,

Our teachers use brown paper strips to test for oil/fat these days.

Did you have fun in Sydney?
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks Liz, The brown paper was another test as part of the prac... I made up a fresh batch according to "The Laboratory" and it still didn't work. Amazingly enough, the two class clowns were the only ones to pick the one dropper bottle that worked! They were pretty pleased with themselves. I tested them all and the one that works has only a few ml left... Oh well! Yet another scientific mystery...

My trip to Sydney was exhausting... Not much sleep to be had on Tuesday night!! Drove down with the highschoolers Tuesday, went bowling with the little kids (yrs 3-6) Wednesday morning before taking them to the track, then I met up with highschoolers again and came home! (highschoolers were racing in the morning and juniors in the afternoon).