frozen agar

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

frozen agar

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Anyone successfully frozen liquid agar for later use?
I have a beutiful batch of tomato agar, last minute changes to plan resulted in me having lots left over, It is quite a fiddly agar to make as you know!
and if it can be saved it would be really handy
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: frozen agar

Post by Labbie »

I do believe they can NOT be frozen and then restored, very well. Some one turned the fridge up to near frozen, and the agar plates were frozen, we just could not use them, at all.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Yes, I had a feelling that might be the case.
What a waste..
Wonder if it will successfully compost?! :? 8-[
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Can you just leave it sealed in a jar in the fridge then reheat and pour it into plates next time it's needed? Or have you already poured the plates? It does seem a shame to have to throw it out!
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I'd try keeping it in the fridge. Other agar seems to keep quite well. The worst that can happen is you'll have to throw it out. 8-)
Julie
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

We bulk batch our various agar stocks and store them in the fridge in rubber stoppered 500ml conical flasks. When we need them we melt the required amount in the microwave and pour the plates. Great for short notice pracs!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Shas

Post by Shas »

.... :? Used to do heaps of nutrient agar plates. Make a batch of couple of litres, pour 20mL into those little McCartney bottles, screw the lids on and bung into fridge. When we wanted plates, (which was every day) we'd stand the reqd amount of bottles in a saucepan with water and reheat until agar was 60 deg. Using the microwave to reheat would be good, but you'd have to unscrew the lids so the pressure wouldn't build up.

I've also kept nutrient agar plates in fridge for about 10 months. Control on these was no different to control on freshly made ones.