Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Eco solve 2 day conference

Post by Mother »

Hi all Chemtalkers
I thought by now we may have had some feedback regarding the conference at Ravenswood School for Girls. Perhaps all are too busy catching up on the lost days!!! No fairies came in to the lab.to clean up,huh!!! Anyway I thought it was rather informative and Phil was an excellent presenter. I am going to order the disc, and I think over time it can only improve, if Phil takes note of all the suggestions that were given to him over the two days.
Also to the lady who asked all chemtalkers to meet at morning tea, my apologies, as I wasn't paying attention when you mentioned it and I thought you said lunch time #-o #-o
Cheers
Mother
Sassi

Re: Eco solve 2 day conference

Post by Sassi »

Hi Mother,

I posted a little thing about the course under the heading lab safety course. I personally didnt find it very helpful unfortunately. I was very interested in disposal of chemical waste and that topic was swept over in 10 minutes, which was a pity I think. The rest I felt was nothing new really, except the bit about the risk assessments, that program could end up being very useful. I thought Philip was dreadfully boring and it was really hard listening to him, I guess maybe i have just been spoilt at uni with some extraordinary lecturers, but I thought that was one of the worst presentations I have ever had to endure. I did enjoy meeting some of the chemtalkers there though, I learnt more from you guys than from the entire 2 day course =D>

Sassi

PS. I am still digging my way through the mess that was made in the labs when I was away, I am not even half way :boring: At least now the teachers got to see how much I actually do without them noticing :-)
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Mother and Sassi
I just tried to post a reply and I think Sassi posted at the same time and I lost all of my typing (and Im not very fast) :-({|=
I really enjoyed the course and came away with overload, but lots of great ideas. I didnt find Phillip boring, but like you say I guess it is what you are used to, and what was expected, I have had much more boring lecturers at TAFE.
I have already ordered the Riskassess programme, and am looking forward to getting going with it, we have had probs trying to find the right one, I will let everyone know how I get on with it.
I would recommend the course, our teachers are going to the next one when it is run, hopefully soon they need it =D>
I was great to meet up with chemtalkers, though we didnt get enough time to chat and catch up, hopefully next time, I am hoping to go to St Mary's, so maybe then \:D/ :thumbup:
cheers Lis
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi All
I did not go to t Eco Conference but I read that you all are talking about risk assesments cnyou tell me what it is about I am Interested to fine out
Noona
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hi I do agree with Sassy, I found it very boring and did not learn anything new. :oops: Highlight was recommendation that glassware or chemicals can be carried in some kind of backpack or holding keyboard on your knees. Lots of things that are not as important and not enough ones those are important for us. I think he was not prepared for specific questions and acordingly answers were all over the place. :-|
Cheers Jazz
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Greetings Noona,

I don't have time right now, however, tonight I will try to send you some info about risk assessments and a copy of the example which was given to us at the conference. I will try to send it as an attachment. (Haven't done one of these yet!!)

Robbie
Lis

Post by Lis »

Hi Noona
The RA's I was talking about is web based software package for Risk assessments in school science labs. and how I understand it, all the hard work is already done for you, and can all be done electronically, if you like I can fax you the info I was given at the course.
cheer Lisa :thumbup:
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Jazz wrote:Hi I do agree with Sassy, I found it very boring and did not learn anything new. :oops: Highlight was recommendation that glassware or chemicals can be carried in some kind of backpack or holding keyboard on your knees. Lots of things that are not as important and not enough ones those are important for us. I think he was not prepared for specific questions and acordingly answers were all over the place. :-|
Ahhhhhhh the backpack!!! How could i have forgotten about that :cheesy: I remember that when he said that I thought I was part of a hidden camera show or something, I mean honestly he couldnt have been serious, could he??? 8O
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

hi Robbie, would you be so kind as to also send me some information of RA
fax number 9823 7662 attn Sue in Science.

I have also sent you a email.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

My Head teacher is thinking of purchasing the software, is it easy to use???????, please folks how have you all find it????????????
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

We subscribed to the software recently and I have used it . I think it is fairly straight forward to use however it is a work in progress. I have done assessments for a few things and it only takes a couple of minutes to do each assessment and print them out. The teachers haven't done any yet but I showed them a few I whipped up and they seem impressed. I think it will be very useful!!

Lorrae
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Hi Lisa

Would you please fax me the information about the risk program too.
My number is 48221437 Attention Cindy

Thank you

CC
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

hi robbie, hi lisa,
Could you please fax me the information as well on the risk assessments and this information that you mention on software package. I would really,really appreciate it.
My school fax number is, (02)65512017
Attention Trish Armstrong in Science.
Thankyou from the bottom of my heart..........
Lis

Post by Lis »

Hi Cindy and Trish,
I have faxed the info for you, hope it helps.
Sue,
we have been using the programme since beginning of term 3, it is easy to use, and can be emailed from the teachers to you or as I do, they fill in their request form, and I do the RA, then I electronically sign it, the teachers can do that too but in our case they have to sign them themselves, so we know they have looked at it. Somethings are not on the database like chromotography paper, and specific rock types, but the chemicals all come up with the class, packing group, un, cas, year users hazards, handling procedures. We have found it easy to use, and ticks all the boxes for covering ourselves, and for the $88/yr we think it is worth it, hoped this has helped
cheers Lisa
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Many thanks Lisa,
I have copied the information you sent for my HOD and I hope we may start to use it to.
Once again Thankyou.
Trish
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hi Lisa
Just spoke to our Chem teacher who is very interested in the RA software. Could you please fax copy to 02 66572281 Att. Julie [-o<

Thanks \:D/ =D>
Julie
Lis

Post by Lis »

Hi Julie
faxed it this morning, hope it helps
cheers
Lisa
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Thanks Lisa! =D> =D>
The fax arrived safely and I'll show it to our Chem teacher. :D
Julie
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Thanks Lisa
Showed it to the HT and he is getting it for first term.

Cindy
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Lyn,
This is the thread that had the discussion about the Risk assess site.

Lorrae