Lab tech VS library assistant

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Re: Lab tech VS library assistant

Post by Jen1 »

Even the ladies in the office get paid more than I do! The library assistants and those in the office had their positions reclassified last year to level 2. But the laboratory assistant (me!) was not allowed to be reclassified as our positions were looked at a few years ago and deemed not worthy. I do all the requirements of a level 2 laboratory assistant except supervise a level 1 because I'm the only one here!
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

After all the information gathered on this forum I have sent an email to my union with regard to our new agreement.
I have done this job for 30 years and it has changed quite a bit in that time. The responsibility has grown enormously and our technical knowledge has had to improve to keep up. We have to be able to work similiarly to the office (data bases, some finance..etc.) and still have the knowledge to understand MSDS, develop Risk Assessment profiles and basically MANAGE a laboratory. In reality the Health and Safety of any Laboratory rests with us.
I think the usual has occurred. Those who look after the "finances" ALWAYS get paid more than those who look after "HEALTH" and provide a service.
I have let the union know that the suggested upgrading of my position will only bring me wage parity with you. So to be honest, more is required, please.
Thank you for all your information.
Maree
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Things must be gathering momentum here in NSW. A PSA fax was displayed beside the sign on book this morning announcing their decision NOT to accept the governments 2.5% offering and what we as SAO's can do about it to get attention drawn to it - tomorrow the 30th for some reason. I reckon the teachers federation should support us - our union has supported them in the past for their wage increases and they need us more than we need them.(plus they get paid more)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Post by Mother »

Hi All
Last week I e-mailed The PSA Union regarding the Science Techs. positions(in public schools that is) and asked if they could lobby the Government for us to have our own identity and not be classified as School Assistant Officer(SAO). Haven't heard back from them as yet.Richard, I'm beginning to think you are right!!!Lazy lot, me thinks. I am paying Union fees of about $58.00 per term(4 terms for those not familiar with our system in NSW)for what, I wonder.
Cheers
Mother
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I put that to them that they are a pretty lazy union and they put the blame back on us saying that SAO's don't like to rock the boat and cause a stir!

Me, I'm the opposite. In the 15 years I've been a SAO the level of professionalism has gone up dramatically. We're not just a bunch of mum's or dad's that do this job because the hours suit us! We work hard at what we do and we should be paid accordingly. I'm not taking anything from the fine work that is done elsewhere by SAO's and SAM's within every school but what we do in our areas is a little more speciallised than 'clerk'.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Can we invite the PSA to a forum chat online, as it would not be possible to get every one together for a talk with them?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Interesting thought! My local guy is Roger Plunket - I'll put it to him and see if it's doable. Even if I get him or a PSA rep at a set time when all of us with questions could be online.

I'll see what we can arrange.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

The problem is, if I have a day off, I'm not replaced and the teachers just help themselves and leave twice the mess than when I return have to work hard just to get back to square one.
So what happens if we go on strike?
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

It becomes an SEP.

Someone elses problem.

Not many of us are replaced when away, but it's early talk of this as there is no strikes planned just a stop work to attend a rally or the PSA link - if you wish to.

It seems the DET and the Government have been aware of this particular 'grading' issue for some 4 years. Hopefully the PSA drive the issue home AND get us at least 4% also!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Would be great Richard if you can get PSA to listen in. I have my membership number ready should you need it. The balls in their court.
Regards Labbie

kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

Hi,
Don't get me started on the PSA I have sent letters and many report from survey form corses I have run.the latest reply was how the PSA fort to suply money for the reference groups in each region to train lab assistants. they have produced a dvd package along with the dept of edu of wich your school has to buy to train lab asistant so I suppose the ofice girls will learn ern that way too. Ha Ha
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

Hi everyone there is an IEU meeting this arvo in Newcastle
Let you know what developes
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Slartibartfast wrote:Interesting thought! My local guy is Roger Plunket - I'll put it to him and see if it's doable. Even if I get him or a PSA rep at a set time when all of us with questions could be online.

I'll see what we can arrange.
Any chance of this going ahead???????????????
Regards Labbie

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Roger is in Gosford Hospital at the moment but I have talked to others from the PSA's Newcastle office and there is something in the pipeline.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

Yeah!
And for the non DET people with the IEU
The IEU are negotiating %5 raise but will not do anything till Public service get there's because they know if they grant more thae state govt then they will lose funding
%5 on half a wage only equals %2.5 of a normal wage
Arrr Well
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

THIS has been an interesting discussion.. I just looked up my pay - and I sure dont get $36,000! Ocker can probably tell you how poorly paid we are in this system.. We only get paid for school terms - not for holiday time.. and our pay rates are very very low.. we are only paid for overtime that is specifically requested - yet most of us just cannot do all our job requires in the hours we are paid for - so unpaid - "volunteer" - overtime is par for the course.
THIS job is still looked at as 'volunteer parent' job for those parents who have no training, no skills, and just want to help out! We are paid peanuts... lets not go there!
We are lumped together with administration staff - and they do a wonderful job - but do not have the responsibilities that we all carry every day - nor do they have the training and qualifications we require to perform our jobs..
Laboratory Technicians need their OWN classification!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Oh YES YES YES

But will it ever happen???????????? :cry2: :cry2:
Regards Labbie

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Maybe to push our point for our own classification and to drive home the level of responsibility we have over other school assistants we should show them pictures like this ex laboratory!

Can't imagine what the office/library staff would have to do to be able to cause this eh!? Boil the kettle dry? So yes, the level of expertise needed for us to do our jobs is rather high and should be recognised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

I hope you have better results from dealing with your union than I. I wrote to the Victorian union mainly responsible for my conditions on July 28th. I still not have had a reply! It is now August 19th. Hopefully someone is watching this and some action might occur.
Interesting though is the conditions the union is applying for. If I get what they are asking, I will then get $22.27 per hour.
My goodness, my union is sooooooooo far behind.
Maree
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

Hey Richard! What did you do for such results, my labs need refurbishing and I thing that's the only way it will get done