looking for a temporary position in western Sydney area

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
RICEPAPER170487
State/Location: NSW

looking for a temporary position in western Sydney area

Post by RICEPAPER170487 »

I just found out today that my position had gone to interview and I have been replaced by some random person who doesn't know a thing about science. I was wondering if anyone has any news about temporary labbie positions in the western Sydney area (ie. Parramatta, Penrith, Blacktown, Baulkham Hills, etc. areas).

I'm just finishing off my science degree and I'll be looking for work untill the end of the year. I don't mind if the position is only for a few weeks...at least it will be some work.

I have uni on thursdays but I am available for the rest of the week, so please keep this in mind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: looking for a temporary position in western Sydney area

Post by RosalieM »

That's gotta hurt!! Did you know it was being advertised? You'd think if you only wanted to work till the end of the year they could wait till next year... How long have you been in the job?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I agree with Roselie, that would hurt so very much. Would you be so kind as to email me, with a phone number, perhaps mobile, I do believe their is a school out their that would love you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Don't forget! Do not TRAIN the new person. If he/she is better than you to get the job, all that is needed is knowledge of storage (equipment and chemicals). And when I have had people taken over from me (LSL), I tell them to open every cupboard and sticky beak. That is the way to learn where things are. The new lab. tech. can do the same!
Good luck with your future.
Maree
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Just curious...

Did you get a chance to apply for the position yourself if it was advertised or was it a service transfer of the new person into your position?

If it was advertised without your knowledge you can appeal against the appointment, but if it's a service/compasionate transefer and you are a parttime/casual in that position then... sadly there's not much that can be done about it.

You'll be snapped up before the week is out.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
RICEPAPER170487

Post by RICEPAPER170487 »

Thanks for all the support.

Just so that it's clear, I am only a casual, doing this job 4 days a week to make some money in my last semester of uni since I only have one day of classes this semester.

I have only been here since the begining of term. My mother was the lab tech here but she got a transfer to a school hat is closer to home and since I had a DET number I got this job without having to apply or anything (hehehe).

I always knew it was only going to be untill the end of this year.

As far as I knew, the school had 3 positions available but they were only supposed to be taking interviews for 2 positions, which were both in the office (the 3rd position was the lab tech). So either someone screwed up or someone is just being b@#chy. Either way it sucks.

Thanks again everyone. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Dont give up hope ricepaper, I was working in schools for 4 years as a casual, moving from school to school, wherever they need me, then I got into a school as full time casual, because I knew the lab tech there got a transfer. During the year I was hoping the job would be advertised and I could apply for it, but being a DET school transfers are given first, whether or not the new lab tech has any experience/qualifications etc, over advertising. The week I was told I was being displaced, my job at LAKES was advertised on their web site, and I got it, I love it I am permanent part time but hopefully next year my days will increase. Keep looking and spread your resume all over your area, schools are always looking for casuals who are experienced, get your good reputation out there. SAMs at the schools have meeting, they talk, and they will all get to know you by word of mouth.
Good Luck, and blessings to you
[-o< Lisa :thumbup: