chemalert or chemwatch

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
kathyp
State/Location: NT

chemalert or chemwatch

Post by kathyp »

I am a lab tech in Darwin and we are looking at installing a chemical management system in all high schools. we are preveiwing CHEMWATCH and CHEMALERT. I would like to know which states use which and some feedback on how well they work and which is the preferred sysyem.
thank you Kathy Pope
sue
State/Location: SA

Chemwatch

Post by sue »

All South Australian schools use Chemwatch. It is a good programme and is easy to use. You can label all your bottles and jars with this programme as well. Sue
coxy
State/Location: NSW

Post by coxy »

I am in northern NSW and we have used Chemwatch for about 4 years or so. I find the company not very helpful, and now only use the program for printing out my labels.
bullster

chemwatch

Post by bullster »

Hi, I've used Chemwatch to source MSDS, to keep a list of hazardous chemicals and for labelling. I found the labelling so annoying that it was worthwhile setting up my own database to print labels. I persist with the stocktake function because I've invested so much time to enter all the chemicals in. It's best use is to source MSDS. My complaints are: it's not intuitive, and it's very slow. It's probably great for organisations who need to do their own risk assessments, but in NSW for schools, most of the assessments are already done and recorded in the CSIS package. Peter
Wendy
State/Location: QLD

Chemwatch

Post by Wendy »

I am not familiar with Chemalert but have used Chemwatch for a few years. I find Chemwatch very useful and easy to use. The only annoyance is that I can't use subscripts to write the molecular formulae. The disc comes with an instruction manual on it. I have found my best source of instruction and problem solving to be my peers, if a question is posted on our list it usually gets a reply to answer my question.
SueH
State/Location: VIC

Post by SueH »

I have tried using Chematch but find it not user friendly and frankly cannot be bothered with it. A lot of schools in Victoria use it and are happy with it though.
I use and quite like (although not perfect) the Omega Scientific Stock Controller. I believe there is a new version of this due out in about 6 weeks. I also use their Label Maker program. A new version of which has just been released and sells for $198.
Hope this helps
Sue
Sue Henderson
Laboratory Technician
Cleeland Campus - Dandenong H.S.
Dandenong 3175
VIC
ph: (03) 8792 7200
fax: (03) 9791 3220
Val

Chemwatch

Post by Val »

Hi Sue at Cleeland
I work at an independent school and have had to subscribe to chemwatch.
I support your comments.
I would like to know how Public schools access the chemwatch site. Do you have to use your DET employment number and your persoonal password to access the site.
Regards

Val B. :wink:[/sub][/list]
SueH

Re: Chemwatch

Post by SueH »

I would like to know how Public schools access the chemwatch site. Do you have to use your DET employment number and your persoonal password to access the site.
Regards

Val B. :wink:[/sub][/list][/quote]

Yes, Val this is how it is accessed. I believe that Chemwatch is available to independant schools for a fee.
Unles Govt. schools pay an annual fee of about $90 we can only access some of the features available through Chemwatch.
Sue
Sue Henderson
Laboratory Technician
Cleeland Campus - Dandenong H.S.
Dandenong 3175
VIC
ph: (03) 8792 7200
fax: (03) 9791 3220
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I don't think we have a choice in NSW, they are trying to get everyone on chemwatch to standardise all schools, so if fire brigade on way to school can log on to chemwatch whilist travelleing to the school site and know what they are dealing with.
But the program is basically flawed when you can't use subscripts to write formulae's.The catholic school system have paid for a bulk licence but if you just want to print a label allow 30 to 45 minutes if doing it online so I pay $80 /Year extra to get Quartly Discs
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I agree with Ocker.. Chemwatch CD (updated/issued 1/4ly for small cost) is much faster that trying to access the internet, especially if theres a class before you in the network pecking order . RS : :D
netta

CHEMWATCH

Post by netta »

I'm new to this site and have just read the comments on the Chemwatch site. My access is generally quite quick. Our school has it on its home page so all staff can have access. The information is good however the labelling system is hopeless. I use my own. There is an address that is used by Department Public schools. Netta.
chery

Post by chery »

Does anyone know of a sytem that you can purchase besides chemwatch that helps to get information and msds sheets on chemicals. We used to have chemwatch but have been unable to access it as of late.
I have never liked it much myself as i found the labelling sytem very complicated, alright if you were a computer wizard.

My headteacher is thinking of running a day for lab technicians at our school Coonabarabran High. It would mainly just be a day for us to maybe get together and work out some of the chemical questions as many people have still not done there chemical safety in schools, or if they have they havent finised it. Just would like to know if anyone would be interested.
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

Our chemistry teacher had an issue with barium nitrate this week and when she called the poisons information number was told not to induce vomiting as this is "old" advice, however the MSDS from the Chemwatch online database clearly states induce vomiting. Does anyone have an explanation for the conflicting advice?
darlo

Re: chemalert or chemwatch

Post by darlo »

kathyp wrote:I am a lab tech in Darwin and we are looking at installing a chemical management system in all high schools. we are preveiwing CHEMWATCH and CHEMALERT. I would like to know which states use which and some feedback on how well they work and which is the preferred sysyem.
thank you Kathy Pope
I am from NSW public high school and the Dept of Education Website uses Chemwatch.I find it can be a bit cumbersome at times but has the relevant information on it. Also has a labelling icon.
Julie D.
darlo

Post by darlo »

Anastasia wrote:Our chemistry teacher had an issue with barium nitrate this week and when she called the poisons information number was told not to induce vomiting as this is "old" advice, however the MSDS from the Chemwatch online database clearly states induce vomiting. Does anyone have an explanation for the conflicting advice?
I have just done a St Johns first Aid refresher course and it instructs not to induce vomiting only to wash outside of mouth with water and call for ambulance for all poisons.
Julie D.
karenob

Chemwatch

Post by karenob »

Ocker wrote:I don't think we have a choice in NSW, they are trying to get everyone on chemwatch to standardise all schools, so if fire brigade on way to school can log on to chemwatch whilist travelleing to the school site and know what they are dealing with.
But the program is basically flawed when you can't use subscripts to write formulae's.The catholic school system have paid for a bulk licence but if you just want to print a label allow 30 to 45 minutes if doing it online so I pay $80 /Year extra to get Quartly Discs
Hi,

I agree that the online use of Chemwtch for labels is pretty useless, but I was wondering if, with the updated disks you purchased, can you still use the departments style label template. We have backdated our computer in the lab so we could still use the old disk (1 & 2) but if we can purchase the newer version it would save time as we use the stores/maniefest to do stock takes. Unfortunately we have also had to keep another set of files as some substances can't be found in the older version of Chemwatch. Could you please advise if this is possible.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Yes Karen
The New Disks still have DET format But I can't comment on what chemicals you are looking for
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

training day

Post by Kathryn »

chery wrote:Does anyone know of a sytem that you can purchase besides chemwatch that helps to get information and msds sheets on chemicals. We used to have chemwatch but have been unable to access it as of late.
I have never liked it much myself as i found the labelling sytem very complicated, alright if you were a computer wizard.

My headteacher is thinking of running a day for lab technicians at our school Coonabarabran High. It would mainly just be a day for us to maybe get together and work out some of the chemical questions as many people have still not done there chemical safety in schools, or if they have they havent finised it. Just would like to know if anyone would be interested.
Would love to go to a training day but unfortunately Cooabarabran is a bit far away for me. Is anyone else likely to be holding a training session nearer Sydney? :?:
Kathryn
Steph

Post by Steph »

There will be a session on CSIS at the 2006 Science SASS Conference on 23rd & 24th November. Registration forms go out in late August/early September. If you haven't received yours by mid September, please let me know.