Job Description/Chem Stocktake

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
coxy
State/Location: NSW

Job Description/Chem Stocktake

Post by coxy »

Does anyone have an actual statement of duties issued by their employer? I didn't have one, so have made my own up from all the various jobs I do. I was wondering how it compares to the job descriptions that you all do. Am happy to post it here, or email it to anyone.
Question 2: I am after a statement printed by either the Dept of Education or maybe the PSA about Lab Assistants NOT having to do the chemical stocktake of ALL faculties in a school. Does anyone have a copy of this, or know where I can find it.
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi All,
I've always been told by people in the know (union, legal types etc) that writing a job description is not a great idea. If you were employed without such a document existing, then you don't need one.
On the matter of Chemical Stocktakes, I have no real answer. I guess it depends on the size of your site. Ours is a small (420) school, so the stocktake is easy; I do it annually and throw out anything that people have bought without checking with me (yep - bossy type!). People are SLOWLY getting used to the idea that we do need to have a paper trail for everything; it's taken me about 8 years!!!
Elizabeth.
bernie
State/Location: QLD

Post by bernie »

A job description is the most important document you have in regards to your position. It designates the responsibilities and the level of competency needed for the position.
In the QLD Catholic system we have just gone thru a reclassification process. The first thing we needed was an accurate job description before we could be classified at any level.
A good job description not only has the work you do but to what level you do it and who is ultimately responsible for that work. Are you responsible for each prac that goes out (general or broad supervision) or is the teacher responsible to check that what she has requested is what she has and that it is safe (limited supervision).

Bernadette
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Stocktake

Post by Mother »

Hi there
Just wanted you all to know that it is not the lab assistant's responsibility to do the stocktake for your whole school.That is the duty of the Head Teacher of each faculty to perform.In the case of the science area it should be done by the Head Teacher with the help of the Lab. Assistant!!! Can get it done much quicker if two do it.
The Principal should be aware of this.So don't be coerced into doing so.The PSA website has loads of information if anyone is interested.The web site is: http://www.psa.labor.net.au
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

:-) Gosh this is a good thread.
Re job descriptions. I was employed nearly 20yrs ago in Independent system, very brief job descript then. Goodness.. how things have changed! 8O

Had to compile my own a number of years back, so I could apply for reclassification of my level. Its a catch 22 though, as soon as you make a job description for yourself, it binds you to it. I know exactly what you mean. But I have one now anyway.

I also would be really interested to know what sort of jobs/roles/responsibilities are done /expected of our position in DET Catholic, Independ. etc :-)
R-S
buggman
Job Title: Lab asst
School: Redeemer Lutheran College
Suburb: Rochedale

Description

Post by buggman »

I am at present seeking a pay increase, but due to a lot of my tasks going recognised as the subject masters duty, I am unable to put these on my job desription(which I might add has to be approved by the subject master first). In 25 years of this job, here and at state schools, I have always had my work described as whatever the subject master says it is. Now in the Lutheran system this technique fails miserably and my pay is at a clerks scale. I heard the Catholic system reassessed their levels of pay and most Lab att. moved from level 3 to level 5, my lot won't hear of it. Having just completed a Uni degree I'm hoping I'll get a better go, but I won't hold my breath for fear of turning blue. More power to anyone who can get a job description and stick to it.
bernie

Post by bernie »

Here is my job description It is very in depth and states exactly what is expected of me

Bernadette

LABORATORY OFFICER

ROLE STATEMENT

The College requires the position of a Laboratory Officer to support the practical requirements of the Science Department in regard to the operation of successful and safe science experiments.

1. REPORTING RELATIONSHIP
Reports to the Principal

2. OPERATIONAL RELATIONSHIP
Responsible to the Science Co-Ordinator

3. CHARACTERISTICS and QUALIFICATIONS
The Laboratory Officer is the person responsible for providing practical support to Science teachers, under the direction of the Science Coordinator. The person must be able to use discretion and judgement in working under general supervision and or broad guidance to select equipment, organise work and services, and achieve outcomes within time constraints. Specific knowledge of Workplace Health and Safety regulations involving hazardous chemicals and a range of quality control and maintenance skills are essential components of the position. Tertiary qualifications at Associate Diploma/Diploma level or equivalent are seen as a necessity.

Competency at this level involves self-directed application of knowledge with substantial depth in some areas. A range of technical skills is applied to functions in both varied and highly specific contexts. Knowledge and skills require continual updating. Competencies are normally used independently and both routinely and non-routinely.

While this position requires no direct supervision of other staff, it is expected that the Laboratory Technician will brief new and relieving Science staff in regard to the conduction of science experiments.

4. SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES

Providing Assistance to the Science Department:

· Prepare (from raw materials where appropriate), maintain and dispense solutions, chemical mixtures, compounds and cultures or similar materials; prepare, maintain, organise, set-up and dismantle equipment and material for experiments.
· Design/demonstration of experiments
· To prepare experimental equipment and chemicals for class practical lessons according to syllabus requirements and as required by the Science teacher

· To assist staff with the design/demonstration of suitable experiments, and equipment for same

· To share information with staff , including new and relieving staff regarding procedures associated with experiments seeking the advice of the Subject Co-Ordinator when needed or when in doubt

· To prepare chemicals of known concentrations from raw materials where appropriate

· To lock/unlock and monitor laboratories on a daily basis and confer with the Science Coordinator on any problems

· Under the general supervision of the Science Coordinator carry out Workplace Health and Safety audits of laboratories and equipment, and maintain relevant paperwork

· To be conversant with Safety Procedures with regard to chemicals, electrical, gas and fume cupboard fittings

· To attend appropriate in-service workshops regarding safety standards and procedures, and new methods of preparing and using experimental equipment, and pass onto teaching staff.

Maintain Equipment, Materials & Specimens:

· To monitor performance of and carry out construction and minor maintenance of equipment

· To clean and store equipment after use, and dispose of hazardous chemical and biological wastes in accordance with Workplace Health and Safety practices and procedures

· To install and maintain Workplace Health and Safety labelling on chemicals and equipment, and safely store chemicals within routines, methods and procedures

· To monitor and maintain stocks of chemicals, equipment and biological specimens

· To assist the Science Coordinator with the purchase of new equipment, and the maintenance of electronic equipment, microscopes, etc

· To conduct periodic audits of equipment and chemicals in stock

· To regularly update hazardous chemical inventory and risk assessment using Chemwatch

Administration:

· With authorisation from the Science Co-Ordinator, to set up new student data bases as required.

· To enter student test results into the computerised marks file, and assist with filing of student test papers

· To supervise a Work Experience/Work Placement student from another school/learning institution with approval from the Principal and the Science Co-Ordinator

5. HOURS OF DUTY

38 hours per week Monday to Friday from 7.30am – 3.36pm with lunch 12.00-12.30pm.

6. CONDITIONS

Continuing Term time position of 44 weeks per year to include an additional one week to be worked in the allocated school holiday periods

7. SALARY

In accordance with Level 5 of the School Officers’ Award – Non-Government Schools.
coxy

Post by coxy »

Thanks for all the input, I am impressed with your Job description, Bernie. I must update mine, it is extremely basic to that of your one. However, I am including it, so you see how basic and easy my job really is!!!

SCIENCE ASSISTANT – JOB DESCRIPTION

The Science Assistant is responsible to the Head Teacher of the Science Faculty. The ability to prioritise the workload and to work without supervision, is of prime importance. Following is a list of the BASIC duties which are required of the Science Assistant at ..... High School. Other duties and tasks may be requested of the Science Assistant at the discretion of the Head Teacher.

1. Prepare daily classroom orders – includes chemicals and apparatus required for use in practical lessons. This involves work before lessons begin each morning. The Assistant may need to commence work at 8:00am to organise and prepare these items.

2. Photocopying for all Science teachers, including half-yearly and yearly examination papers and booklets.

3. Cleaning/washing and replacing of all equipment and glassware used during lessons; putting away equipment and chemicals, and generally tidying up Labs and Prep rooms.

4. A4 laminating as required.

5. Records management (filing) and document creation (typing) as required.

6. Wash up glassware, dissection gear, etc.

7. Prepare chemical solutions for dropper bottles and stock supplies.

8. Run water distiller as required.

9. Prepare sterile Agar plates.

10. Order all chemical and stationery supplies, apparatus and textbooks for Science Faculty.

11. Maintain up-to-date records of all chemicals, stationery, apparatus, textbooks and glassware.

12. Organise labelling of all droppers, reagent and stock bottles as per CSIS regulations.

13. Maintain booking sheet for Light Projector, Digital Cameras, and Lab 3.

14. Monitor, store, and distribute all CD’s & DVD’s, and other Science software in faculty.

15. Organise collection and return of magazines, videos, and book boxes to Library.

16. Organise storage and shelving for Faculty.

17. Request items through weekly Newsletter (ice cream containers, tins, etc)

18. Liaise with companies for repairs to equipment/apparatus.

19. Contact suppliers for samples, quotes and demonstrations of major apparatus, (i.e., Laptop, Microscopes, Light Projector, Data-logging gear, etc).

20. Contact distributors for preview of textbooks, videos, CD’s, etc.

21. Assist with organisation of social events for Science Faculty staff (optional).

22. Maintain Petty Cash records for Science, Agriculture, and Aquaculture.
louie

whole school stocktake

Post by louie »

I don't do the whole school stocktake just the science dept one,.There is a very good reason not to do it. All employees /faculties need to develop an awreness of the chemicals they hold and a sense of what they could dispose of . I think of it as a bit like your garage at home or your pantry . If you never look through it and have a good clear out how do you even know what you have? cheers Sue
debbec

chem stocktake/job description

Post by debbec »

Hi all
I do the stocktake for the whole school (1200 students) and it takes quite a while .This will be the last year that I do this.The reason being that if it is your department you need to know what stock you have and what you need to dispose of.It is hard to hand this job back to the people who need to do it ,the principal has to put their weight behind it.
My job description ends with the statement "any other duties as required" which makes me laugh.