Silver nitrate stains

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
buggman
Job Title: Lab asst
School: Redeemer Lutheran College
Suburb: Rochedale
State/Location: QLD

Silver nitrate stains

Post by buggman »

We have had new bench tops in some of our laboratories and unavoidable stains from silver nitrate are starting to appear. I was wondering if anybody has had any successful removal techniques? If they are washed straight away with Hypo they are less trouble, but as with all things late disclosure is the problem and so the chemical is well and truly dried, and stained, before they're noticed.
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale
State/Location: NSW

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi Mandy,
I too have new benches and am very protective. I have been using Chux "magic eraser" and they are fabulous. There are some other brands , and all successfully remove just about any stain from hard surfaces - using only water, no abrasives. They're a little expensive, but they eradicate the need for (most) cleaning chemicals.
Elizabeth
souj
State/Location: WA

Post by souj »

There is a lot of really helpful info for dealing with silver nitrate stains in the forum index- Grades 7-10. Happy cleaning!
Jodie
mitch2
State/Location: SA

Chemical Trays

Post by mitch2 »

Same problem here with Silver Nitrate stains. We now use the black meat trays that butchers use for displaying meat. Students use them to carry any chemicals on and then do their experiment on the tray. Easy to clean up after by the students and stops any spillage of chemicals spreading onto the benches. We have 16 trays per lab. The local butcher gave me the supplier and they are of course cheaper in bulk.