engraving magnets

and any other non-chem subjects.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

engraving magnets

Post by Rowyrow »

Hello,
Does anyone know if engraving an Alinco bar magnet with the schools initials will effect the magnetism? If it does can anyone give me another idea of how to Id them as school property (that wont wash off)?
Cheers
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin

Re: engraving magnets

Post by Lyn »

Rowann, I don't think it is really necessary to mark magnets unless you want to use waterproof markers. There is every likelihood that the engraver may upset the magnetic field of the magnet. I don't mark our magnets and it is up to the teacher to be vigilant about the return of equipment. If something goes missing we either keep the class till it miraculously reappears or students will track down the offender and return the missing item to us. Threats of lunchtime detention for the entire class usually gets results.
Lyn.
dime
State/Location: NSW

Post by dime »

Another method of marking equipment when engraving is not appropriate, is use a whiteout pen ie. liquidpaper. When dry, paint clear nail polish over the writing and let dry. This reasonably resilient and I have used it a lot ie on scissors, protractors, compasses but I must admit not on magnets. Now I think of it lots of equipment isn't marked. And I also admit it doesn't stop the scissors disappearing. Oh well, we do our best. 8-)
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

Thanks for the tips! I wish I didn't need to label everything but sometimes the teachers can be as bad as the students :mad: they "forget" where they got things from :-|
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ocker »

Remember, Permanent magnets are hardened steel, unless you have diamond tip, I think you are whipping a dead Horse
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

If one "whips" a dead horse, does that mean one also "flogs" cream?
Cheers, K 8-)