oxygen removing solution??????

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

oxygen removing solution??????

Post by Rowyrow »

HI, My head teacher has just asked about a prac that needs Oxygen removing soulution. The prac involves water with methyl blue in it and the the addition of "oxygen removing solution", does anyone have any ideas about what this is?
lada
State/Location: NSW

Re: oxygen removing solution??????

Post by lada »

We used sodium dithionite (sodium hydrosulfite).
i dont have copy of practical, so cannot tell you the conc., but safe bet would be about 1%.
be careful, check MSDS, it is recommended for yr11-12 students, toxic by all routes, releases toxic SO2 :redcard: on contact with H2O
Good luck
Lada :coffee:
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Thanks. Teacher has canned the prac it was going to be for year 8's
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I vaguely recall reading somewhere something about boiling water and then sealing it from outside air to remove oxygen... Not sure if this would work.
babybabs
State/Location: NZ

Post by babybabs »

I'm not sure I'm on the right track for you but I have an experiement whcih we call the blue bottle.
It contains methylene blue which is an indicator for dissolved oxygen.

blue bottle — In a 500 mL clear bottle (preferable with a screw cap) place the 2 solutions. The first solution = 10 g NaOH dissolved in 125 mL tap water, 2nd solution = 10 g glucose dissolved in l25mL of tap water. Add 2 — 3 drops of methylene blue, shake well and allow to stand until colour fades. Shake bottle and it turns blue, let it stand and the colour fades. Methylene blue shows the presence of O2 in the liquid i.e. shaking the bottle dissolves oxygen in the liquid, and it diffuses out on standing. Good equilibrium demo

another variation of that is

4) Pink /purple bottle use same chemicals as above but add a trace of safranine indicator. Bottle turns pink then purple. Safranine is more sensitive to oxygen than the methylene blue so you get a double colour change.

Hope that helps
lada

Post by lada »

This is a great exp demonstrating redox reactions. We do this at science expos etc. :clap3:
Not sure if this is the one Rowann wanted
lada