Fe(SCN) waste

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
jenny walter
State/Location: VIC

Fe(SCN) waste

Post by jenny walter »

Hello all,
I have a store of waste Fe(SCN) and am wondering if there is a way of treating it in-house or is chemical disposal companies the only alternative. Look forward to hearing any replies on this one!
Regards
Jenny Walter
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Fe(SCN) waste

Post by Labbie »

Iron Thiocyanate is not even in the CSIS Nor is Copper Thiocyanate, so I am very sorry I can not help you. But would suggest you keep it for collection.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
jenny walter
State/Location: VIC

Post by jenny walter »

Sorry, I should have said that FE(SCN) is a 50/50 mix of 0.1M Fe(NO3)3 + 0.1M KSCN (20ml of each) then made up to 1 litre with water.
Jenny
ri

Post by ri »

Hi Jenny,
when we have aqueous solutions of chemicals that can go to landfill, we allow them to evaporate somewhere safely (can take up to a year), then dispose of the dry waste to landfill.
Waste disposal companies charge by the quantity as well as the type of chemical (ie those that can't go to landfill), so we keep costs down by the evaporation method. Ours is allow to dry in a wide mouth plastic container behind the door of the dangerous chemical store room which has an exhaust fan.
Hope this helps,
Robyn
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Ok Iron III Nitrate Fe(NO3)3
And Potassium Thiocyanate KSCN KSCN is waste 15 Page 16 in waste chemicals appendex E
SOlid, may be placed in the garbage.

Iron III Nitrate is also a Waste 15

So with only 200ml that you have it can go "Down the sink to waste" WITH PLENTY OF EXTRA WATER.

So sorry about the subscript thing that has gone wrong
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:-( Hi I have the same question, ferrothiocyanate is not in the CSIS appendix I have approx 1L so can anyone help tell me the correct method of disposal [-o< hoping Chemtalk can guide me!

cheers MariaC
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hey Maria did you try looking for Hexacyano Iron III