Storage of Na

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Sam
State/Location: NT

Storage of Na

Post by Sam »

I need to know if Sodium Metal, Lithium etc, need to be stored in a fire proof box, if so where do i get one, or are they safe in the Chem store shelf in a ice-cream container of sand? :?
TritonX
State/Location: NSW

Post by TritonX »

i just have my sodium metal stored in a glass jar with a glass lid with some kerosene inside to prevent it getting exposed to moisture in the air.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Storage cabinet

Post by Ocker »

Your Na in Glass container filled with kero/parrifin is group 4 (Flammable solid) should be then kept in flameproof locker
Kath

Sodium Metal

Post by Kath »

Hi Sam,
Sodium metal must be stored under liquid paraffin or kerosene to prevent the reaction of sodium with oxygen or water vapour.

Lithium floats on paraffin oil. When you return a piece of Lithium to the storage container you should shake the container to make sure that it is re-coated with the oil.

Be careful as Lithium is corrosive to skin.

Hope this helps.
Kath
Robb

Manifest for Sodium Metal

Post by Robb »

Sodium, when kept under Paraffin Liquid is very stable, although if large amounts of Sodium are kept for long durations, (2 Years or longer), constant opening and exposure to atmospheric air can cause the Paraffin Liquid to absorb moisture.

This happens very slowly and although paraffin liquid is insoluble with water it does however trap some moisture. If storage is going to continue for extended periods then be sure to change the liquid upon its long life storage.

You can see this as the sodium will become slightly darker than normal. This is because the oxide of the element coats the surface of the metal due to moisture being present. There is no concern but it indicates a good time to change the Paraffin Liquid.

Having said that, it is fine to store this material in the Chemical Store with the other general chemicals as long as proper segregation techniques are carried out.

I keep my Sodium metal in a glass bottle which has been coated in a Resin to prevent, upon dropping the bottle, any material being exposed to air and/or moisture. The glass will no doubt break, but the protective film on the outside of the bottle holds the material inside for safety.

You can store this material in ordinary laboratory glass bottles or containers as long as a screw cap lid is used to fasten. This way the physical aspect of the lid prevents air from entering the bottle.
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Miranda
State/Location: VIC

Post by Miranda »

I just wanted to reiterate the use of a glass bottle/jar for sodium storage. We had some sodium that had been placed in a plastic screw top jar in our flammables cupboard in parrafin oil and it had become very cloudy.
Sam
State/Location: NT

Post by Sam »

Thanks Everyone.

I feel alot better about how i have stored it now. :lol:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi All,
Having just read up on the past Sodium metal forums, I was wondering if there is an amount that is safe to have in the chem store, I seem to have a very large quantity of it and not sure if I need to reduce the amount somehow.
:?:
thanks Lisa