Lab Technician's Survey

for anything else that doesn't fit.
Rita
State/Location: NSW

Lab Technician's Survey

Post by Rita »

Hi Everyone

Has anyone read the results of the lab technician's survey?

It gives a good run down on what we are about!

Below is the website you need.

Survey results
http://www.deewr.gov.au/Schooling/Scien ... report.pdf

Rita
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Re: Lab Technician's Survey

Post by trish armstrong »

wow 8O
just read it, being in a nsw gov school, I didn't get a chance to participate. For me being in this job only 2.5 years, some of the comments on training and what qualifications we have were scarry but true.
I have had no formal training, only on job training and what I can attend and support from our little lab group (we try to get together as atraining day once a term). But in my defence it is not through lack of trying.
I have on numerous times contacted Tafe etc looking for external coarses(even the careers teacher at school looks out for me)but no coarses are available in my area, the ones available are 2hrs drive away and you have to attend them two days a week.
:mad: Fair go! I cannot afford to take 2 days a week off to do this I have a morgage too.And can't see the school enabling me to do this for a whole year.
I love my job :wub: It's the best job I have ever had. And I think that When or if they provide training for us it should be greatly emphasised in the country areas, as alot of the certificate qualifications mentioned are not possible to do in our locations. That is the problem,not the lab tech not caring enough to do the training. I understand people who have these qualifications should be paid a little more, but hey, isn't it true that most of us still have to do the duties even though we don't have the certificate behind us.
I think and most will agree we need a seperate pay system than other SASS in most schools, but I get alittle annoyed when I feel not quite up to par with others performing the same duty, just because i don't have a piece of paper or the ability to get that piece of paper. :redcard: I think some country labbys will agree with me.
I hope this servay gets us some positive results, in training,pay,recongnition,support. To enable us to do the right thing for us,our schools, the teachers and the kids.
Trish :thumbup:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you so very much for putting the survey up for us to all see. Very interesting. NSW is on a two week break. I shall be reading the survey during the holidays.

Thank you again
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Wow! It's like Chem talk has been written up into a research report! Very interesting, lets hope it get's through to the people who make the decisions and that they take knowtice of it!!! =D> =D> =D>
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Post by Teresa »

Hi Everyone,

Wow you were quick to find the report Rita!

Today is my first day back after the school holidays and from attending CONASTA in Launceston, where Professor Mark Hackling of ECU presented the National Survey Report.

This represents 4 years of hard work for us – although we think that this is just the beginning!

The study was funded by the Australian Government DEEWR and conducted at Edith Cowan University in collaboration with the Australian Science Teachers Association (ASTA) and Science Education Technicians Australia (SETA). The full report can be viewed on:
http://www.deewr.gov.au/Schooling/Scien ... fault.aspx
Then scroll down to: ‘Reports and publications
The Status of School Science Laboratory Technicians in Australian Secondary Schools report.

This is a lengthy report: 78 pages and containing ~29500 words. Within it there is a copy of the original survey on pages 56-68 (Appendix 2). If you did take part in the survey last year it could be worthwhile to look at it again to remind yourself what it was about. If you didn’t get the opportunity to take part, then it could be helpful to read the survey first. It is a professional report beginning with an Executive Summary on pages 4-7. However, if you are interested in the details (and they are worth the time) please read the whole report.

The report makes recommendations about training and support for technicians, levels of technician staffing/servicing of science departments and national standards.

Please be assured that representatives of ASTA and SETA are continuing negotiations with DEEWR regarding support for implementing the report’s recommendations.

Please take the time to read the report. Marilyn and I would welcome your feedback.

Regards
Teresa

PS Trish we certainly will be taking into consideration the situation in country areas and the desire of technicians to have opportunities to get appropriate training.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Teresa, Congratulations on the mamoth task you set out. The time is something that I know has been a major issue but it is great to see the Survey and behind the scenes come out and be very rewarding.

Once again congratulations for you and your team working on this approach.

Cheers,

Robb.....

P.S. Hiopefully I can get to a conference if the Uni doesn't block my time.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

At last, recognition of the varying roles we play and recommendations that experience and qualifications be recognised. I too am hoping that something will come out of this (particularly a pay rise [-o< [-o< [-o< :giggle: )
Over here in the west our union is in the process of applying for level one staff, who work on their own, to be reclassified as level 2 (seeing as we do all the duties of a level 2, except supervise a level 1) and hopefully this report will be used to support our case.
Big thanks to all involved. :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
Jen
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I havent had a chance to read through it yet... rushing to get pracs ready for students coming back...

Question:
Is there any current data/recommendations in this report, as to how many hours lab techs work..per students/size of school/ roles required?
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I was at CONASTA and heard the talk about the report. Nothing new that hasn't really been discussed here. They just said it better and in a way people might actually take notice of :) Here's hoping! I think they've done a great job. It's not something I would have stuck my hand up to do! They did talk about a number (Service Factor) which recommended a certain number of lab assistant hours in relation to the number of science teaching hours. If you go to the link in the first post and just do a search (edit, find) for 'service factor' it will take to you the relevant information. I found it all very interesting and I'm glad I was able to be there when they discussed the findings. I think it is a shame that NSW DET schools weren't allowed to participate. Kinda says to me "we know we aren't up to scratch but we don't want to be told officially". Anyway, I am looking forward to having time to read the whole report at some stage.
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

I did a Certificate II in Science Laboratory Attending at Newcastle TAFE back in 2000 when I was doing my Diploma in Chemistry. This course was put together for Lab Tech's working in Schools or for those who would like to. It was great to do and I learnt alot, plus the added bonus to talk to others who were working in a school at the time. It run for 2 years, one night a week.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I think a lot of schools sat on this survey, It's just that I knew that it was coming ( from Chemtalk ) and plagued my principal and dept head till I saw it.
The main result is that all share the same problems and concerns, so we're not on our own!
Thanks to thoes who organised and corralated the findings :clap3:
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

Hi all,
Had a quick read through the survey, and think it gives a good indication of how things are in labbie land. One thing I noticed was that 40% of people in the job are over 50. (I'm one of them). That means there is going to be a bit of an exodus over the next few years, and I'm wondering if there are the people out there to fill these jobs. This might be something that needs to be looked at. Lack of training keeps popping up in different threads. Thank goodness for Chemtalk.
Cheers, Ellice. :clap3: