PLEASE BE CAREFUL

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
lada
State/Location: NSW

Re: PLEASE BE CAREFUL

Post by lada »

My situation is similar to Ian. I am only required to work in term time, so only 38 weeks. I get payed $51 125 per 52 weeks, but only pro rata for 38weeks, so the pay is not that great, but I get all holidays off (my hubbie calls it transition to retirement). Plus I do love my work and teachers I work for, so no I don't do it for money.
Lada :coffee:
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Our situation is similar we have a reasonable yearly wage
Then they cit it by 20% because we only work 40 weeks instead of 48
Then they cut it by 25% because we only work 30 hours per week instead of 40
End result we're working for half a wage, and every time something upsets me I'm heard to mutter to myself, A bloke should go and get a real job, but I'm still here, so something is working :crazy:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Ocker is so right - we are in the same system.... It is hard to make ends meet, and yet we come back week after week to do the job, but the find that we are too old to get a job elsewhere.. so you young ones.. think hard about it NOW.. and if you need to earn more, make a change BEFORE you get unemployable!
As to doing unpaid hours - I was a sucker for that - I got paid for 30 hrs a week but worked at least 40 then some more at home.. and it became expected of me.
IF you do unpaid hours and then they reduce your hours, if you STILL do all the tasks it confirms in management minds that you really didnt need to be apid for the hours you used to be.. PLEASE DON'T DO IT.. it will be ahrd, but walk out at the end of your hours.. that si the only way that management will come to realise just how much you DO...
{experience speaking here!!!!]
cecmel
State/Location: ACT

Post by cecmel »

Agreed - if you regularly have to work extra time just to get through the work load, don't do it. Or make sure you get overtime, or time off in lieu - check your award/agreement. And count the time you spend running round outside work hours doing the odd bit of shopping, etc - it all add up! There should be some give and take in the system, but sometimes it seems we do all the giving.
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hello everyone - gosh I've learned alot from this thread - even something about chemicals! Have printed out the sheet and even understand some of it. I think I'd give you all a heart attack with my lack of knowledge on chemical safety.

Speaking of chemical safety and extra hours I am going to come in on Sunday to dispose of our chemicals in the Council clean up. Sure have learned this morning who is watching my back. My SAM said make sure I document the time and then take a half day or go home early for a week etc. Asked a Science teacher about the safety aspects of the chemicals - he said to just pour everything into a big drum and take it to the tip. When I explained that I can't carry a big drum, especially from the second floor, he didn't seem concerned nor did he care if I blew myself up or keeled over combining some of these mysterious bottles. I am a bit edgy but mostly just want to get the stuff the heck out of here.
Hope to chat to you on Monday....... 8-[

LOL

Searchie (Patti)
The Search Engine
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

DO NOT DO IT. Please please be careful, you should have two other people with you, that know about chemicals. Or better still I know its pricey, but try and get some collectors in. Also check your insurance on your car, I just bet you or your car are not covered for transport of CHEMICALS. DO NOT DO IT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :lol: 8O :redcard:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Labbie is right DON'T DO IT, I bet he wouldn't do it, and as for putting all different chemicals in one container, you are joking aren't you??????? If the local council is the same as ours they want take the chemicals, ours is only for farm/auto chemicals etc., especially not if you don't know what they are. And being on a Sunday, who else will be around in case you do drop a bottle while loading the car???? :redcard: :redcard: :redcard:
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Although the disposal of our old unwanted chemicals was done professionally, it was interesting to see the number of lidded plastic containers that the disposal guy bought with him. The chemicals were boxed by mostly by class. I provided Material Safety Data Sheets for every chemical according to the supplier of said chemical and if none were available then I downloaded a generic set of safety sheets. I also had to fill out waste manifest forms which included brand name (ie Ajax), chemical name, number of containers of each chemical, quantity of chemical, solid/liquid, DG Class and UN Number.
Would the council cleanup require you to provide similar information for their disposal purposes? Also are you insured for carrying these chemicals if you take them to the council tip in your own vehicle? Would it be more appropriate to utilise a school vehicle to transport the chemicals? Why isn't your school looking at disposing of old chemicals through a certified disposal company?
Lyn.
P.S. I still have disturbing moments at my lack of knowledge of certain aspects of chemical safety. It doesn't matter how long you've been in the job you continue to learn.
lada

Post by lada »

Patti, i agree with the other labbies, DO not do it yourself.
If there is an accident, I bet Workcover would love that. It is too risky, heavy and even toxic and harmful to do it by yourself. Tell your head of dep. that you will get some quotes for professionals to pick it up.
Good luck
Lada :coffee:
dime

Post by dime »

I understand that you want the chemicals gone. We are fortunate in the north west that they have a chemical disposal once a year - but yes you do have to deliver them. I did this a few years ago and it was so cheap for the school, and sooo good to have a tidy chem store. BUT check with your SAM that you are covered by insurance. When I got rid of the bulk of chemicals - only kept three of anything not used very often, I took a list of everything for the disposal guys, with the quantity next to the chemical. This enabled them (and me) to total the amount of chemicals. You are allowed 20kg or 20 litres free. We only went over a small amount the first time. It would be better to have someone help you for safety's sake. ( I got rid of all the mercury compounds as well - just cause I didn't like 'em and no-one has ever wanted them).
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Thank you wonderful people for your posts. You will be pleased to know that thanks to your concern and a couple of personal messages and phone calls ( you really all are lovely people) I will not be going ahead with my chemical clean out on Sunday. Interestingly my husband (a teacher) was very edgy about the whole thing and went straight to the deputy this morning. So with the kind assistance of a little lab angel I shall spend 12 months getting my act together in preparation for the next chemical clean up in our Shire.
I shall keep reading the words of the wise on this forum.
Thanks again

Searchie :)
A very grateful little engine!
The Search Engine
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

THANK GOODNESS SEARCHIE!

I am reading the posts and having a heart attack at your original plan!

I was thinking... oh no !the outcome will be on the 6 oclock news for sure!

Dont ever carry chemicals in your car, unless you know their properties, safety class storage needs etc , and certainly nothing that could be suspect or anything other than small quantites

Unfortunately disposal is one of those things that school HAS to pay for, and its definately not cheap.
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

yes, so glad you are not doing this, far too dangerous and way beyond your job description. I was told by the registrar that I am not allowed to transport any hazardous chemicals in my car. And I'm quite happy with that, i would hate somthing yucky to be spilt all over the back seat! :yuck:
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Me too! Hubbie would have a humungously heated up hairy hospitalising hernia! :cheesy: