Using RA's

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Using RA's

Post by Lis »

I am curious to know if others have had any resistance to using or implementing RA's and SOPs..., and all the other things we discuss often on ChemTalk, regarding safety etc, from their teachers and other staff. As you know we use the Risk Assess programme for our risk assessments, we print one for every prac as they have equipment and chemicals, that way we feel we are not missing anything, but we still come up against teachers who dont want to do it that way, and want to do things and experiments like they did 20 years ago. How do others feel, and what is the response from your staff members.

Lisa
lada

Re: Using RA's

Post by lada »

Our teachers are pretty good here. If there is a prac that is not recommended for juniors, but teacher wants to do it, he/she clears it with hod. Some are OK to use in fumecupboard etc, but I will not set anything up, that has not been clear by the head.
Lada :coffee:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Right on Lada!

I may ask teachers to clear things with the HOD, but I still ask her myself anyway. If she says yes, then that's her call. Our HOD also considers the competency of individual teachers when she says Yes or No.
Cheers, K 8-)
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Mine are pretty good too... they just forget to look at certain things :banghead: :rules: ... like the cleaning up after a dissection SWP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUCK! Brewed over the weekend too. :redcard:
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

All I can do is try to get them to fill them out, most do, some do after I have nagged them and then 1 or 2 just dont :redcard: they keep promising them but they never get around to it. My HOD knows about it so I think it is upto him to jog their memories.

Dont get me wrong they are a great bunch to work with just some of them are set in their ways. :cry2: