Chemical Disposal

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Chemical Disposal

Post by vlclabbie »

Does anyone perchance have an idiot proof ( :D )chemical disposal list for each compound? ie: Copper sulphate... what needs doing to it... ie in the chemical alphabetical list. Don't want much do I?! :D

Obviously it will depend on each water companies release amounts but I would love to see one if anyone had one...... [-o<

If nobody has then I'll start my own but hoping I can use something as a springboard... happy to share the end result! Mmmm look at that crisp orange carrot dangling...... :cheesy:

Thanks, Kel :thumbup:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Chemical Disposal

Post by Labbie »

The CSIS has a very good disposal of chemicals.

Volume 2 Appendices E: Disposal of waste.

In the bible that we all use The number on the right hand side down the bottom. For Camphor it is 23.
Look up 23 in the Disposal of waste, Hydrocarbons, Alcohols, Ketones, Esters, Heterocyclics. and it tell you what to do for Solids or Liquid's.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sammy
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: WA

Post by sammy »

Hi all

Just quick question but where can I find a copy of the CSIS and what exactly does it stand for :-( sorry but my brain not working too good at the moment :coffee:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Chemical Safety in Schools is a NSW DET publication. I don't know where interstate labbies would get a copy other than photocopying it (which I would assume due to copyright laws would be illegal) and sending the photocopy via Aussie Post (which would cost a significant amount I would imagine...). It contains two lever arch folders full of information, regulations and specifications.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

In my old school I had an AJAX catalogue of all its chemicals. Each chemical obviously had M.W. , etc.... plus a disposal code. Maybe the chemical companies still supply this sort of information.

Maree
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I forgot about the CSIS! I was lucky enough to receive this from another LOVELY labbie from NSW.... If you can get your hands on it - it is very comprehensive! I highly recommend it.... Hmmmm wondering why I forgot it... mental fatigue.... time for a "Mental Replenishment Day"!! :wink2:
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

HI,
I have an icecream container siting in my fume hood that has a mix of stuff (reactants from variouse experiments) it contains copper sulfate, magnesium, potassium permanganate, sodium thiosulfate, sodium nitrate, sodium chloride , barium chloride, Hydrocholoric acid, sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide. Now would it be safe for me to heat this mix (clearly not while in the icecream container 8O )and evapourate off the excess water, to save on storage space for the waste? :?
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Nah,

Just put a lid on it and post it to Peter Garrett.
Cheers, K 8-)
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Could you maybe pour some into a shallow tray and evaporate it off in the fume cupboard each weekend, long slow process I know but bit by bit and it is gone.

I recently went to a chemical disposal PD day for all the local labbies in this area and they suggested disposal by the above method and also flush small amounts down the sink bit by bit, again long slow process, they said because of all the other water in the school flushing at the same time eg: toilets showers taps etc the amount of chemical is diluted more then enough for the sewerage system. I dont - just cause I'm a bit of a greeny but sometimes you have to wonder is all this money for chemical disposal really necessary????

Another interesting thing I learnt that day is to dispose of solid chemicals by placing it in plaster of paris or concrete and letting it set then throwing out with the normal rubbish.

They said that the amount of chemicals a school uses is nothing compared to other industries.
I'm not condoning this but it makes you think
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

Yeah I thats what im trying to do but it doesnt seem to be reducing much, i have been advise( by the school head) to just pour it down the sink becasue our school isn't connected to mains sewerage but im with you on the environment thing. Ahh well will see how much has gone when I come in next week
lada

Post by lada »

If you are going to dispose down the sink, make sure you adjust pH to 8.
labgirl
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: Burdekin Catholic High School
Suburb: Ayr

Post by labgirl »

Good morning all,
I hope this is the right place to pose this question. After my new lab refurb it was time to relocated my chemical cupboards. I have discovered a container of oxidised (read totally liquidized) copper nitrate. Is there a way I can safely dispose of this without sending it off to an outside(expensive) agency? Thank you in advance for your help.
labgirl
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Labgirl
Why not just add water to it and use it up in prac's for the year 7's
It will not be exact but 0.1M is very weak.
the MW may not be exact but it will be close
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin

Post by Lyn »

I have kept my liquidised (deliquesced) copper nitrate as a saturated solution for flame tests. Mine still has solid material in the bottom of the container. Couldn't see the point in wasting it.
Lyn.