textbook trolleys

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

textbook trolleys

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Everyone!
I've done a bit of a seach but haven't really come up with an answer. I am just wondering what people use for carrying textbooks. We have only 1 class set of each book which are kept on bookshelves and when teachers want them they have to send 2-3 kids down to pick them up which takes up precious lesson time. Often classes aren't in the labs so it's a bit of a walk to the classrooms. I thought I'd look into getting trolleys like the eco mail trolley suggested in another thread that we could store them in so the teachers could just grab the trolley they need on their way to class. For those of you who use a trolley system for books, what works for you? Do you find other bits of equipment end up in your trolleys? Do you just have a few trolleys and put the books in when needed or does each set have it's own permanent trolley?
Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!
Rosalie
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: textbook trolleys

Post by Slartibartfast »

We just used sturdy and strong milk crates - in class sets coloured to the lab/s they belong to carried in on normal lab trollies. They are heavy though so be mindful - industrial law states you female labbies you are not to lift or carry over 15kg = approx. to a 5 ream box of A4 paper.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

I bought plastic crates on wheels from Howards Storage World; they have a long handle and are easy to wheel from place to place - no more lugging boxes of books! They are about $35 each and are great.
Liz
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

That is a great idea Liz, I will definately keep that one in mind for our texts too, are they the ones where the handle folds down into the crate? great

Cheers
Lisa
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

We did throw that idea around (crates on wheels) but it still means a lot of bending to get the books out and also putting them in. We have 5 female teachers (plus me, so 6) and only 2 males so this needs to be considered as well.
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

We went ahead with the fold up crates on wheels - $25 at Sam's Warehouse and Crazy Clarks. So much cheaper than any of the other options out there! And they are all black as well, so they will look good as well as being practical! (I like matching things...) Now to find a place for them to live...