number of students per lab tech ratio

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
kathyp
State/Location: NT

Post by kathyp »

can anyone tell me the formula for working out how many lab techs a school requires?
I believe it is a student to lab tech ratio. I need this figure to support my request for a position for a 1/2 time lab tech
ta kathy
m
State/Location: NSW

Post by m »

I am also interested in what the status quo for this situation is. numbers have increased at our school since a boundary change and should stay up for some years. years ago when numbers were also high we had 1.5 lab techs
will stay tuned for info
m
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

I have also been interested in why some schools have more hours of lab attendant help than others even though they may have the same number of students.
In NSW state schools apparently there is an allocation of SASS staff per school according to how many students there are in the school. It is then up to the principal and the admin. manager to decide how that allocation is used. In some schools there seems to be hundreds of people in the office and not many in other places.
At our school they seem to be cutting back on hours for science despite an increasing number of students taking science subjects in the senior years.
I guess all you can do is try to get the admin. manager to see how much work you do and hope for the best.

Good Luck!

Helen
debbec

students/lab tech ratio

Post by debbec »

Hi all
I work a 30 hour week and we have just over 1200 students (6 labs).
Earlier this year I asked for help and now have someone in for 5 hours a week(one day) .To justify this my co-ordinator and myself put in a submission based not only on the total number of students but also the number of senior classess which require extra work.
Hope this helps
Debbie
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I find it amazing when I see some of you in other topics writing about having not much to do. Ours is a very small school, about 220 students only. I spend a lot of my time in the prep room, and when not too much is happening I am in the office or elsewhere as needed. I can't imagine what it's like in a huge school with 1000 to 2000 students, and only one lab attendant! You must be run ragged! No wonder I love my job so much! I think I'll stay where I am. 8-)