and any other non-chem subjects.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Animal blood - no no?

Post by vlclabbie »

Hi Labbies! :thumbup:

I'm putting my learners cap on for this one! I'm fairly certain I've read it somewhere before...

We have had a new teacher join us this year who was a vet & she is keen to bring in live animals & blood samples etc... I was fairly certain that she can't do the blood thing but does anyone know if she could bring in slides showing blood cells from a horse already made up? I'm thinking a resounding no but I promised I'd ask! :rolleyes:

Also what's the go with live animals? Obviously RAs would need to be filled....

Thanks for your help which I know will be wonderful!! :D

Cheers Kel
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Re: Animal blood - no no?

Post by Rowyrow »

We have pre prepared human and frog blood slides that we got from a supplier. The blood smears are covered with a cover slip and sealed around the edges so im assuming they are safe. The NT science guidelines only objects to fresh samples and any biological tissue that is not food grade.What im getting at is that im not sure about he rules were you are but up here the slides are fine but the blood is a big no no.
dime
State/Location: NSW

Re: Animal blood - no no?

Post by dime »

In NSW there is a animals in schools policy. Strict guidelines on keeping them. So you would need to check you state's policy, or rather you teacher needs to check with head teacher. Slides should be OK as they are already prepared. At one time I got cow blood from the abattoir when it was here. But of course it congeals quickly, so wasn't particularly useful.
The main no no was with human blood - risk of HIV and all that. Animal blood shouldn't be too much of an issue, in that they cut up rats this morning and there was rat blood on the boards!
:yuck: