OMG!!!!!!!!!!

for anything else that doesn't fit.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Post by vlclabbie »

OMG! NOt sure if I should be cringing :mad: or being cool... & dancing along.. \:D/ . our new teacher has just put on a CD while the Y7 blossoms are doing a prac - without bothering about a RA or prac request or anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do any other teachers play music during pracs?????

Personally I think it's dangerous - how do the little darlin's concentrate??!

Thanks, Kel :whistling2:
amk
School: St Marys College
Suburb: Gunnedah

Re: OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Post by amk »

:D One of our new (young) teachers regularly plays music especially to her senior chemistry classes. Surprisingly there is less noise and commotion in the class and it is a great bribery tool (even for the naughty Yr 12's). The kids seem to get their work done and can function with even the Doof- Doof 'music' going. :-({|= . I just make sure I have jobs in the other part of the school to do. :yuck:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Might suggest it to one of our young ones. See if we can notice a difference in chatter etc.
Cheers, K 8-)
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Actually I forgot to mention ....they were music videos playing on the Smartboard & when I looked via the fume cabinet there were lots of zombies :popcorn: stirring their beaker of water WITH the thermometers while watching said video clips...!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: There I go...........! Melting down......... :crazy: :crazy:

Breathe Kel Breathe...... :cry2:

You've got to wonder what they are learning.... how they are concentrating.... I can cope with music (even if it is doof doof... going) but not this.... kids not watching what they are doing... tripods aren't the steadiest of things.... can just see an accident soon... My one saving grace is that I don't usually work Tuesdays & I shan't ever again! BUT my daughter is in this class too!!!!!!! :redcard:
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Yesterday's reply did not go through. Here it is again. Ask the staff member if the students are allowed to wear ipods in class. If so then the music should be alright! If not, why not? Is it only allowed when he/she also can hear it?
Maree
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

This has nothing to do with music in classrooms but OMG....... We have had nothing but trouble with our new fume cupboard since it was installed 15mths ago. Yesterday an employee from the company came out to finish the job. (The company was unaware of the problems because it was installed by the contractors who refurbished our classrooms) Once the company were aware they have been out and fixed everything they can and have gone to work out how to fix the rest. BUT and its a big BUT there is no isolation switch for my prep room and we had to wait until school was finished before we could turn of the gas and water off at the mains. This poor bloke had a 2 hour drive back to Sydney and we didn't get out of here until 5.15pm. Is this normal. Are we supposed to have an isolation switch? If we aren't it doesn't make a lot of sense. I was so angry yesterday the job should have only taken an hour but it took 4hours. Anyone with new prep rooms see if you have an isolation switch. I was told it was attached to the chem classroom but it wasn't nor the other classroom.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi
I have a a master control switch in my prep room.
My labs were the project ones so they should have done them the same as mine.
The company that did yours was not the company that did mine.
So mabe they thought You did not need one or saved them selves some money??
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

I have an isolation switch for my fume cupboard, like an emergency stop button. If i want to use the fume cupboard i have to slip into the back of the classroom and put my key in, thats where the switch is...then the class knows i am going to do something in there and spend the rest of the class watching (even though I have a huge piece of butchers paper stuck up in there so they can't...they eyeball round the edges)
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Thanks Noona,
No it was not the same company. I love the design and the clean lines and the bright colours but sometimes I wish I had of gone and visited someone elses first. eg. we have holes in walls and when we said thats not good enough they stuck a chuck of wood over it and painted it. Little things like that is just not good workmanship. Sorry about the wingeing its not DET I blame but the contractors that did the work.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

We have isolator switchs on both fume hoods and then emergency shut off buttons (big red ones) in each lab and one in my prep room. We also have a gas isolation valve in each class and one in the prep that switches the gas on and off( the teacher is in charge of doin this at the start and end of each lesson and I go and check them all befor I leave at the end of the day. Kid's luurrvve :wub: :wub: the big red buttons because not only do they cut the gas but the lights and all other power in the room that could create a spark! they have the same set up in the food tech rooms!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

My fume cupboards are doublesided. The classroom side has an emergency isolator switch and the prep room side has an emergency switch. We also have isolation switches on the teachers benches which stop both gas and electricity. We also have these same isolation switches at other strategic points in the room. Sounds like overkill but better than dead students. Which leaves me the other day trying to set the gaslines for a prac. and having no joy. I had checked one isolation switch on the wall and forgot the one on the teachers bench. #-o (These teachers just can't be trusted.) :-| Took a while for the penny to drop but eventually got the system up and running.
So yes in each of our laboratories we have two isolation switches which take out both gas and electricity if either are activated, plus isolation switches on the fume cupboards.
Lyn.
P.S. I have also been told by the installer of the fume cupboards that they should be left turned on and running.