Flammable liquids

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Flammable liquids

Post by RosalieM »

I have just gone through our flammable liquids cupboard today. Made a list of what we have in it to stick on the door etc so I don't have to open it and look at every bottle to discover we don't have what someone has asked for... :) I found several bottles half full of the same stuff - some old, some not so old... Is there any reason I can't just mix them together to make full bottles and finish some off? Or should I just try to use up the oldest looking bottles first and be patient... I did clear out probably 10 or more empty bottles that had been put back in there!! So not as squishy as it was, but I think I could still make it better with less bottles so I can see what is what without taking them all out every time... Surely if they are the same substance it shouldnt matter mixing two bottles to make one full one?
SGG

Re: Flammable liquids

Post by SGG »

Hi RosalieM
Had the same problem when I came here. I used up some of the older stuff first but it depends on the substance. Dr Robb put a wonderful listing in the Wiki of shelf lives of most of the chemicals. If some of your bottles of chemicals are too old- maybe you should dispose of them and use up the newer bottles. It certainly gives you more space! :-)
Regards
Sue G
lada

Post by lada »

I agree with SGG, Use the old ones first.
We had an incident here before my time, when the lab assistant mixed the same organics, except he found out later, that some did not mix...Yes, they must have been in wrong bottle. So not only did he threw away the old bottle, he then had to dispose of the mixed one as well.
Lada
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

You would be wise to use the old bottles first, due to contamination, their may be a contaminate bottle there. Most labbies use a rule of thumb, if you pour out too much never return it to the bottle, due to contamination. Sorry best be patient. :coffee: :coffee:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Sort of on the same topic,
I have a new flammable cupboard, but is not vented to the extraction fan. I have a lot of old stock that my HOD will not let me get rid of. My problem is that I went in there last week and the zinc alloy(i think they are) shelves look like they are starting to corrode. Its like a white powder stuff on them when you wipe at it. The cupboard smells.
Would this be good enough evidence to get the cupboard vented and dispose of the old stock???????
Trish :D