autoclaving agar plates (again)

and any other non-chem subjects.
cosmo
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
State/Location: VIC

autoclaving agar plates (again)

Post by cosmo »

Hi there,
I'm using a benchtop autoclave to sterilise some bug plates before disposal 8-[ .
Have read all the posts on this wonderful forum, but am a little confused :oops: about the oven bag situation.
In my previous life in medical research we used big built-in autoclaves, and the proceedure was that the bags had to be cut open to allow the steam access to do its job.
So should I leave the oven bags open, or will this result in a very yukky autoclave interior :yuck: not to mention potential aerosol production at the start of the process when the air is venting :yuck: ?
I also have concerns about using autoclave tape as an indicator of sterilisation, but the autoclave indicator strips seem quite expensive (around $40/100). Would love to hear others' thoughts/ideas.

thanks for a fantastic resource
cheers
Kate
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Re: autoclaving agar plates (again)

Post by Lis »

Hi Kate

I was like you last week, only I have used my presure cooker for the first time, I just crossed my fingers [-o< and hoped for the best. I didnt seal the oven bag, put water in the bottom, on the hot plate got the pressure up, cooled it down and did it again, they came out a lovely gloop :yuck: , and no mess in the pressure cooker :clap3: . I had no escaped steam or smell (like with the microwave :yuck: 8O ). I waited till it had totally cooled before I opened it. I am not sure if this is how everyone else does it, and if others seal their bags, would like to hear how it goes, cos they burst in the microwave :crazy:

Cheers
Lisa
bella

Post by bella »

hi Lisa and Kate, when I autoclave my used plates I don't use an oven bag. I put the still sealed plates in the autoclave baskets and re-sterilize them for 25 mins @ 121 degrees. Let them cool so that the agar goo sets again then empty and clean.Seems like we all di everything differently.
cheers deb
lygray

Post by lygray »

Hi ,
I have a pressure cooker to sterilise plates. I put the petri dishes sealed in an oven bag with a small amount of water and loosely tie the top. Put water in the pressure cooker and sterilise for 30 mins. and hope for the best. i don't have autoclave tape. i have to hope it reaches correct temperature and pressure.
I was told to put a small amount of water in the oven bag to create steam inthe bag - this works better apparently.
i let it cool completely and then empty, wash petri dishes.
Don't have any bad odours and not too messy.

Lyn