storage of hydrigen peroxide

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
kase
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Berri Regional Secondary College
Suburb: Berri
State/Location: SA

storage of hydrigen peroxide

Post by kase »

Hi all,
Can any one explain to me why chemwatch classifies hydrogen peroxide as an oxidiser (with a sub risk of corrosive) but shows that it shouldn't be stored with oxidisers??

Thanks Kase :-|
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: storage of hydrigen peroxide

Post by Labbie »

Some of the chemicals do have a double caution with a sub class. It should be stored under the first class. Hydrogen Peroxide should be stored with Class 5 Oxidizing. Iodine is a class 8 then under a class 5.1 so should be stored with class 8 corrrosive.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Yeah! Whatever, but I keep mine in the fridge or it degrades to water very quickly!
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

Actually double dimonds should be stored seperately from other dimond classes.
so in this case no hydrogen peroxide should not be stored with any other peroxide nor should it be stored with corrosives but on its own.

yes it is a nighmare as far as space and logistics but that is the how it is meant to be

but then there is the acceptance that schools generally have small amounts of things so it should not cause too many issues ..

after saying that we store ours in the fridge - no other dimond chemcial is stored in there.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

WOW thank you Dolphinscales, I shall store mine in the fridge. :w00t:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I think that I am going to have to stop reading ChemTalk. You keep telling me all the things I am doing WRONG!
My mum used to keep her Hydrogen Peroxide in the bathroom cupboard, but mine is just up on the shelf with the oxidising agents. I wonder if it is safe to assume that, as it is years old and has NOT been in the fridge, then it is mostly water by now and so it does not matter any more where I put it?
Oh heck! I am almost at the end of my first week of holidays! Why am I even thinking about it?
Happy holidays to all of you!

Ian :grin: