MSDS sheets

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
PolyEster
State/Location: NSW

MSDS sheets

Post by PolyEster »

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if Chemwatch has packages of MSDS sheets and if so how much? As printing all the Chemicals needed is a mammoth task.
Something I have been told to do soon.

Yours Gayle
Poly Ester :roll:
Robb

MSDS Available

Post by Robb »

Hi Gayle,

Chemwatch has only the Database which we use online; printing will be the only option available.

There are other MSDS CD's that can be purchased independently as well, but this still keeps the problem you have. Unfortunately this may be a daunting task.

Cheers,

Robb..........
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
PolyEster

MSDS

Post by PolyEster »

Hi Robb
Thanks for the information on the MSDS sheets. Looks like I will have to keep going with the printing off of the sheets myself. Trying to get everything up to date here, but takes a long time.
As for the Ammonia Solutions, I never had the chance to try out your calculations yet, but will try as soon as I can. Also if I do have a problem, will let you know.
thanking you again
Gayle
rp

Post by rp »

hi gayle
I have printed out the MSDS sheets but I also laminated them and put them in a folder because I found when they used them in class , they spilt stuff over them and I had to redo them.
It takes a bit longer but it is worth it.
Hope this helps
Rhonda
birdie

Post by birdie »

Yes,it is a mammoth task to print these sheets.In the time I was printing(over a few months) the format changed more than once.This leads to a quetion.For how long are the Chemwatch MSDS's valid?ie from Issue date to how many years later.I have been told by word of mouth for 5years,but not sure how true this is. I would prefer it in writing.
Any ideas?
Birdie
PolyEster

MSDS sheets

Post by PolyEster »

Thanks Ronda and Gail also for your answers.

I also started laminating a few sheets, but only the ones I send in with a prac. But Does everyone print off the whole MSDS sheets per chemical or just the mini sheet? I have been audited and have been told I need to print off at least two sets of every chemical we have. Now thats a darn mammoth task.Considering nothing much has been done at this school previously.

Gayle :?
Robb

MSDS's

Post by Robb »

Hi Gayle,

I have two locations that the MSDS's I have are kept.

One set are in the Laboratory for Immediate use if the occasion arrises, and on my desk in the Science Staff Room. This gives two locations if there is an incident preventing the access to one or the other sets.

This is a legal requirement for the storage of MSDS's in more than one location, and from personal experience this can be a daunting task as each MSDS must be duplicated and every chemical must have a relevant MSDS.

I have the copies of the full MSDS's available for Science, and at any stage the revised date changes for a particular MSDS then I replace this so that the updated MSDS is available.

I would not let the revised dates for a particular MSDS elapse for no more than 3 years.

I hope this has eased some of the MSDS problems you have.

Robb.............
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Robbie

MSDS sheets

Post by Robbie »

Hi Gayle,

I understand what you are going through. I was audited last term...and did not not pass their standards! I am in the process of printing out our MSDS right now. I have filled three arch lever files and I am still going. I also have to print off single page info sheets about first aid for the office to keep in the clinic.

I was told we must print off the whole MSDS not mini versions.

I tried to find the Mini MSDS on the Chemwatch website but the only levels of MSDS I could find were: Simple, Technical, Editorial, Domestic, Laboratory and Commercial. Regardless of which level I selected I still got the same full length MSDS???

We have about 400 chemicals in the school and I am curious to know how many chemicals other schools have...

Regards,

Robbie
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hi Gayle,
Mini MSDS or Summary is located in the top left corner on your screen, but do not forget that you have to be in the academic mode to access it.
Cheers Jazz
Robbie

MSDS Sheets

Post by Robbie »

Hi Jazz,

It was me, not Gayle, who could not find the Mini MSDS.

Thank you very much!! I did not have it in academic mode before!

Robbie
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sorry Robbie,
I'll be more careful next time
Cheers Jazz
me
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Castle Hill High
Suburb: Castle Hill

Post by me »

Hi Birdie,
I've also been told 5 years for MSDS but have nothing in writing.

Tracey
Teresa
State/Location: WA

MSDS sheets

Post by Teresa »

Hi All,
Information regarding the keeping of MSDSs can be found on the Worksafe website.
For WA
http://www.worksafe.wa.gov.au/newsite/w ... b_MSDS.pdf
I have copied this from the website:

When is an MSDS required at the workplace?

A current MSDS must be obtained by employers and must be made readily available to employees who may be exposed at the workplace whenever a hazardous substance is used.

When must an MSDS be supplied?

There are four instances when an MSDS must be supplied:
• when a hazardous substance is provided to a workplace;
• when a hazardous substance has already been purchased for use at a workplace and the purchaser asks for an MSDS;
• when a potential purchaser makes a request for an MSDS; and
• whenever a MSDS is revised.

When does an MSDS expire?
The information in MSDS must be kept current.
MSDS must be updated by the manufacturer or importer at a minimum of every five years.
The employer should check the dates of all MSDS and ensure that all MSDS at the workplace are “current”

I am sure that this would be the same in other states.
I have found sometimes that the manufacturer has not kept them up to date and I have had to chase them up for a current MSDS.
I have just over 200 different chemicals. I try not to keep unwanted chemicals, especially hazardous ones. I don't accept "donations" of chemcials from other sources, or else my school has to pay for the disposal of them.
Kind Regards
Teresa
Barb

Post by Barb »

:lol: i agree we were told five years. I had a full set of MSDS one for every chemical in our storage that is kept in the science prep room and a copy of all the Hazardous ones that we keep in the Bursar's office. that is suppose to meet the requirments of our school district. Barb
Meri

MSDS info

Post by Meri »

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder re. printing off copies of MSDS's - there is a copyright on them by CHEMWATCH. It says at the end of the full MSDS that you need written permission to print them!

Meri :-(
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

MSD sheets copyright

Post by Mother »

The actual wording at the bottom of the MSD sheets is:
This document is copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purposes of private study,research,review or criticism,as permitted under the Copyright Act no part may be reproduced by any process without written permission from CHEMWATCH.TEL(+61 3)9572 4700.
The Dept.of Education and Training pay an annual fee for this privilege.We need these sheets for OH&S of staff and students.
Cheers
Mother
ndicker
State/Location: TAS

Post by ndicker »

I just did the Chemwatch course in Melbourne last week.
If you have any problems or queries with any of this stuff you should contact them. They are great people to deal with and extremely helpful!
re mini MSDS's... I asked this question and was told that as long as there is access to the full MSDS somewhere, even online, then the mini MSDS is fine.
If you set up your manifest and have the online version, Chemwatch will tell you when there are updates to MSDS's and you also have access to manufacturers original MSDS (all this in advanced mode).
Hope this is of some help.
Please let me know if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to help or give you details of someone who can.
Cheers,
Nicole
:D
judygee

MSDS Sheets.

Post by judygee »

Thanks heaps Nicole, it is a relief to learn that I haven't been doing things incorrectly all this time!!! I always try to supply the mini MSDS and /or the CHINA report with the understanding that access to the full MSDS is easily available online, if fact our RA's have a section which can be ticked stating exactly that. I have been helped on a number of occasions over the months with our Manifest and Risk Assessments by a guy called Ridwan at Chemwatch, and cannot speak more highly of him, he has been very helpfull. So if in doubt, give them a call! Cheers. Judy.
PolyEster

MSDS

Post by PolyEster »

Hi All
Thanks to all who replied to my email regarding MSDS sheets. I guess I will have to just keep going. Just a little note as to my audit.
I was told to have One whole set of MSDS sheets at my fume cabinet and One in my prep room. They also said I should have a third one in my chemical store room. Think that one will have to wait a bit.
Thanks again
Gayle
gwen

Post by gwen »

Hi All,

I guess auditors vary but we have just been audited and they seemed very pleased.

I had 12 lever arch folders of MSDS of all the school chemicals at the front office plus a hard copy of chemicals at all the storage locations. All of this information was also available on the school intranet accessable from all staff computers.

We use Chemwatch CDs which are updated four times a year and cost about $80.

Cheers
Gwen