Nickel Nitrate ???

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
sammy
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: WA

Nickel Nitrate ???

Post by sammy »

Help Please :-(

I have been asked to make up a prac to classify chemical reactions and it used Nickel Nitrate Solution ? I can't find any in my chem store and have looked up my solutions folder and it is not in there either or in my SDS file so I need some help please. How do I make this up ? Am I allowed to make this up ?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my ignorance :crazy:
Sammy
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Nickel Nitrate ???

Post by Lyn »

Hi Sammy,
If you have the nickel nitrate as a solid then to make a 0.2M solution add 58.2g of nickel nitrate to a litre of distilled water. If you don't have the chemical in stock then you won't be able to make up the solution. The teacher will have to look at an alternative chemical.
Lyn.
sammy
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: WA

Post by sammy »

Thanks Lynn
I just went through my chem store and found nothing so will have to use an alternative I think
Thanks heaps for your help :clap3:
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

Post by Jazz »

Hi Sammy,
You can make nickel nitrate using nitric acid and nickel metal, nasty fumes (nitrogen dioxide, brown colour). It is hard to calculate molarity. It is just not worth it, let him/her come up with alternative :rolleyes:
Cheers Jazz