gas

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

gas

Post by Jazz »

My HOD decided that it is too much trouble to turn gas off after each class,it
(I am against it 8O but who cares :mad: ). We do not have science lab as such they are more like general purpose learning rooms with sinks along the back walls. These rooms are used by English and LOTE department as well.
What do you do? Do you have rule to turn off gas after each class or?
Cheers Jazz
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: gas

Post by smiley »

YES we do. Only exception is when the class immediately following is going to use gas too, and has confirmed that with the first teacher (i.e. taken responsibility for it - big word, I know).
Cheers, K 8-)
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

YES, we do too. Each lab has a gas isolator knob which is pressed to turn off the gas. The teacher has a key to turn it on. That way the gas is only turned on when it is needed.

Carol
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Your HOD might change his mind the day some charming student walks out and leaves a gas tap on. This happened with one of my labs which was unoccupied the following lesson before the end of the day. I was elsewhere at the time and it was a considerable time later when checking to make sure the labs were secure that I found what had happened. The whole lab was filled with gas. I had to open all the windows and doors, and, although it was risky because of possible electrical sparking, switched the fans on to full speed to try and remove the gas from the lab. It took over twenty five minutes or so before it seemed safe to turn them off and to close up the lab again. I wasn't impressed. Teachers are now expected to turn the gas off each time they leave the lab. (Expectations are another thing though.) Also if the gas is off then students who fiddle with gas taps can't create the potential for a nasty accident. I have also had teachers come into the prep room saying that the gas is on, because some idiot child has played with the gas tap. Why am I the only one who is capable of turning off the gas???? (Where is the smiley for frustration?) :banghead: :banghead:
Lyn.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Expectations
Responsible I am not responsible!
We have a problem here where whey also turn off master switch for power and water, so while non prac classes using the little darlings turn the taps on full then when teacher hits the isolator switch every one gets drowned!
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Sounds like a OH&S disaster waiting to happen!!

We turn ours off and the key is returned to the prep room. There are big signs on each lab door asking "Have you turned the gas off?" Plus the isolator switches are on the door side of the teachers benches so they have to walk right past. I would NOT be happy with your HOD.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

I would make sure the gas is turned off personally, and I do this in fact. Look at it this way, if ever workcover come in due to a serious accident then you can cover yourself and the Science faculty by at least having noted that the gas was turned off. This way any negligence will be put back on to the person injured where it then is reported as self negligence or responsibility due to all efforts in keeping all gas valves in the off position. No prosecution can then take place on a faculty, school, or personal level. I would prefer you to keep your house rather than loosing it due to criminal neglegence.

Give that to the teacher to ponder.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Gas here is turned off after every use (provided it is remembered) and i go and check at the end of every day that the valve is in the off position and all the taps are facing the right way. why would you even take the risk of leaving it on with kids around!