Stock and working solutions

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Stock and working solutions

Post by linotas »

How long do you keep your working solutions for? Do you just wait till something is depleted or do you do a regular stocktake and get rid of anything over X years old?

I have been transfering working solutions to our new lab and, apart from dumping the dregs of stuff and bottles with things visably growing 8O , There is some stuff that is years old that I am wondering if it is worth keeping.
dime
State/Location: NSW

Re: Stock and working solutions

Post by dime »

Well I'm of the school, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Like you, I discard ones with stuff growing or lurking in the bottles. But unless they specifically ask for freshly made solutions, I use what I've got. I think some solutions, like iron ones don't keep, but other more qualified people can no doubt tell you which ones. I might add, I haven't had any complaints in nearly 19 years. cheers :D
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Same. When a bottle is getting low, I make up more. The bottles I use hold just over 2L so usually when they are nearly empty I make up 2L. Mostly our 'stock solutions' are used to fill up the dropper bottles, which are then used by the kids, so it takes a while to get through 2L. 0.1M NaOH I have in a 5L bottle as it is usually used in large quantites. The ones that need to be made fresh I just try to make small amounts and dispose of what's left over.
lurra
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by lurra »

Me too why reinvent to wheel :thumbup:
Lurra AKA Noona
Rosalie Cassar
Lab Tech
Greystanes H S

ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I use what I have and make new solutions up as they are needed.

My stock solutions are only in 250 and 500ml amber bottles so the most used ones are made up at least once each year.
Sometimes I have utilised the senior Chemisry classes to make up new solutions when they are doing the unit in yr11 on making up solutions of a known molarity. Rather then they all make up 8 lots of 250 ml of something only to discard it.

I just went to check how long ago I made up some and realised I have been very slack and havent updated the "Date Prepared" on their labels so it looks like they are all about 6-8 years old! I must update the labels sometime.

Wendy
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Thanks everyone.

We just have so many duplicates (and triplicates, and quadruplicates!!!) of things. I just do not see why we need so much! I have been very ruthless this afternoon, hope my job share ( Hi if you're reading :thumbup: ) doesn't take a fit :crazy:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

I'm with the others. Considering we're not running analytical laboratories here, I'm not too fussed about old stock. I do make new stuff for the Seniors, when they're doing titrations etc. :thumbup: