Chemical Inventory

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Robb
State/Location: NSW

Chemical Inventory

Post by Robb »

Just as a General Discussion point,

How long would it take you guy's to complete a Chemical Inventory?

It usually takes myself about a week to complete an inventory, counting the constant daily interruptions that occur.

Obviously it comes down to whether there are a few Chem Store locations within Science also.

From the beginning of the inventory to clicking the mouse to save my work after printing out the original copy at the end, there seems to be no end for the process until it is finally completed.

Do you have problems that strech your time longer than anticipated...
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
coxy

Post by coxy »

Hi Rob, I can now usually do a chemical stocktake in a couple of days, but when I first started it took a week or so. I do not use Chemwatch for this, rather a Spreadsheet where I have all my chemicals listed, then quantities, storage place (i.e., Prep Room or Chem store) colour code/DG classification. I constantly update it, by having one printed copy in each of my two prep rooms and one in the chem store room. I mark each time I get an empty container - but when it is half-full I know to order another (if usage warrants that we might use a half container in a semester). Every semester I usually update all my sheets from the various sites, and enter the information on my Excel spreadsheet list. I use this list about October/November to order anything I might need early in the New Year for classes. Otherwise I only order when absolutely necessary.
MichPull
State/Location: QLD

Chemical Stocktake

Post by MichPull »

Like Sue I do not use chmewatch for my chemical stocktake but have a excel spreadsheet.
I find the best way to do the counting is in many smally lots, eg by DG class. This way the interuptions which always occur are not such a problem.
For me a week is also normal for the time it takes.
For ordering, again as Sue suggests make a master list for the start of the year otherwise just get items as you need it. To help with planning chemical usage try and get a lesson plann for each of the year groups and senior subjects to help workout what you need and when.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Hi Robb,

I, too, use an Excel spreadsheet that I designed for my use years ago (- years before the CSIS package ever came into being). On it is all sorts of info, such as when I last purchased; how much I get through each year (gives an indication of whether I've enough for another year); cost; which company sold at best price (very often Science Supply Australia); formula; MW; how old the MSDS is; user code; etc etc.

I take on the stocktake towards the end of Term 3, when exams are being held, meaning less practical lessons are being done, therefore I'm not needed by the teachers so much.

Admittedly, I only have one storeroom to count, but I can get it done in one day - if I'm left alone. At that time of the year that's usually possible.

Wow! Today is my first day perusing this website. I really enjoy reading your input. Nice to meet you. Lake Munmorah, eh? Not all that far from me.

Regards,
DJ
tania

Post by tania »

I use Chemwatch manifest. Its takes a reasonable amount of time to get it all set up. Once you have created all your various stores it's time saving when you want to do updates. You can print off each store in order of class and aphabetically etc.
I keep a record for all departments, makes for easier management right across the school.
tania
Kath

Chemical Inventory

Post by Kath »

Hi Robb,
To do a chemical inventory for the Science Dept. will only take me a couple of days. But, I have done an inventory for the whole school and that took about 3 months.
I did it all on Chemwatch. But for my own use in the Science Dept I use a spreadsheet. I find it much easier
Cheers Kath
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Hi
I also have done (and are still in the processes of doing) an inventory across the whole school. I use the chemwatch site but I find they do not have the MSDS's for all the items we have so I also do my own spreadsheet which includes everything.

Kathryn