A general discussion and Q & A forum.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

NSW HSC Industrial Chemistry Option

Post by rae »

Does anyone do this option?
If so I am looking for tips on how you do the practical on Properties of an emulsion?
Thanks in advance.
lada

Re: NSW HSC Industrial Chemistry Option

Post by lada »

Lorrae,
I have a hard copy of an experiment, which I can fax you. If you give me your fax number.
Pracs on emulsions are hard to find, this one is OK, not wonderful.
Regards,
Lada
rae

Post by rae »

That would be great Lada. My fax no. is 48613328.
I have a prac which we did last year. However it wasn't very successful. We didn't get good results for conductivity and I can't remember how we made up the fat soluble stain. I think we used it as the solid but the prac says a 1:1 solution with the water soluble stain.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I used tis website for the senior science pracs, sadly no more senior science in our school
http://science.uniserve.edu.au/school/c ... echem.html
Cheers Jazz
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

We have been doing emulsions for a few years in Senior Science.. and use commercila products, food, hand creams etc.
this below is from Wikipedia
In food
Oil-in-water emulsions are common in food:
Crema (foam) in espresso – coffee oil in water (brewed coffee), unstable emulsion
Mayonnaise and Hollandaise sauce – these are oil-in-water emulsions that are stabilized with egg yolk lecithin, or with other types of food additives, such as sodium stearoyl lactylate
Homogenized milk – an emulsion of milk fat in water and milk proteins
Water-in-oil emulsions are less common in food but still exist:
Butter – an emulsion of water in butterfat
Vinaigrette – an emulsion of vegetable oil in vinegar. If this is prepared using only oil and vinegar (i.e. without an emulsifier), an unstable emulsion results

In medicine
20 ml ampule of 1% Propofol emulsion suitable for intravenous injection. The manufacturers emulsify lipid-soluble Propofol in a mixture of water, soy oil, and egg lecithin.
In pharmaceutics, hairstyling, personal hygiene, and cosmetics, emulsions are frequently used. These are usually oil and water emulsions, but which is dispersed and which is continuous depends in many cases on the pharmaceutical formulation. These emulsions may be called creams, ointments, liniments (balms), pastes, films, or liquids, depending mostly on their oil-to-water ratios, other additives, and their intended route of administration.[8][9] The first 5 are topical dosage forms, and may be used on the surface of the skin, transdermally, ophthalmically, rectally, or vaginally. A highly liquid emulsion may also be used orally, or may be injected in some cases.[8] Popular medications occurring in emulsion form include calamine lotion, cod liver oil, Polysporin, cortisol cream, Canesten, and Fleet.

Microemulsions are used to deliver vaccines and kill microbes.[10] Typical emulsions used in these techniques are nanoemulsions of soybean oil, with particles that are 400-600 nm in diameter.[11] The process is not chemical, as with other types of antimicrobial treatments, but mechanical. The smaller the droplet, the greater the surface tension, and thus the greater the force required to merge with other lipids. The oil is emulsified with detergents using a high-shear mixer to stabilize the emulsion, so when they encounter the lipids in the cell membrane or envelope of bacteria or viruses, they force the lipids to merge with themselves. On a mass scale, this effectively disintegrates the membrane and kills the pathogen. The soybean oil emulsion does not harm normal human cells, or the cells of most other higher organisms, with the exceptions of sperm cells and blood cells, which are vulnerable to nanoemulsions due to the peculiarities of their membrane structures. For this reason, these nanoemulsions are not currently used intravenously (IV). The most effective application of this type of nanoemulsion is for the disinfection of surfaces. Some types of nanoemulsions have been shown to effectively destroy HIV-1 and tuberculosis pathogens on non-porous surfaces.
rae

Post by rae »

I have been told that Industrial chemistry is the most common option studied by HSC students. So there should be a lot of comments on this topic. Does anyone do conductivity of emulsions and how do you do it and what are your results like?
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

Pracs that we do for Industrial Chemistry
* Solvay Process
* Equilibrium
* Le Chatelier's Principle
* Electrolysis of Sodium Chloride solutions
* Galvanic and Electrolytic Cells
* Saponification
* Sulfuric acid - reaction of H2SO4 with sugar
* Nitrogen dioxide in hot/cold/ice water
Information from CHEMTEXT by Alexander Boden - Science Press
and
SURFING Chemistry - Industrial Chemistry by Marilyn Schell and Margaret Hogan - Science Press