Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Update on MSD sheets

Post by Mother »

Hi all
Just to let you all know that I have followed up on the ruling for MSD sheets from the OH&S regional meeting.It has been recommended by the department that mini MSD sheets be available in hard copy with the central register(admin. office usually) and at location sites where applicable ie. Science,Tas,GA and Ag.
All users of chemicals must be familiar and aware of the Chemwatch site and how to obtain a full MSD sheet if required.
Guidelines will be issued to all department schools soon.
Hope this now puts everyone in the know.
Happy day
Mother
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Update on MSD sheets

Post by Slartibartfast »

Further to this, in NSW MSDS sheets can be no older than 5 years to allow for updated information, be mindful also that items that we keep that aren't strictly science based also must have an accompaning MSDS hard copy close to hand. This DOES include all glue/adhesives, soaps, cleaning products and sadly even things like flyspray and cockroach baits. You may be very interested to know there is a Workcover audit due to start early July targeting our paper trails/chem storage facilities that they didn't want us to know about so you didn't hear it from me, OK!!!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We had a audit done this term. They checked all the MSDS in Science and around the school. I help keep the other facultys going with a once a year Chemical check, and show them how to check on their MSDS. I was told, I had not put Liquid paper, down silly me, and a can of WD40 was also found.

Good luck
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

Aaaahhhhhhggggggg I am so over it. Just when you think you have everything under control a spanner is thrown in the works. Why oh why do we need MSDS for glue sticks???? and soap!!!!! And now, what's this, Mini MSDS for all areas of the school that I have placed a chemical register - what about the poor trees that are giving up their lives for this paper chase. I don't have time for all this, and get no extra help (have actually lost a couple of hours to the library).

Yes I know I am whinging, but I feel like all I have done since I started this job in 1999, is to clear out old chemicals, stocktake stocktake stocktake chemicals, organise risk assessments,
re organise the chemical store, print MSDS's and Mini MSDS's, label, label label, dot, dot, dot, and everytime I turn around there is something different that needs to be done. Every course I have done has different information,I am so confused,it shouldn't be this hard.

I just want to do my job and get on with the important stuff of getting our kids through the HSC with sound scientific knowledge, great pracs and workable equipment.

Cansomeone please come up with clear and precise information of what we need to have and do.
Dee
Cuishie
State/Location: WA

Post by Cuishie »

I don't know why there isn't a centralised location ie the DET website, where there can be access to all MSDSs for anyone in the school system with the click of a button and that can be updated by one person so that they are always up to date and we don't have to wait for a disc from the RTG. The same goes for assessment and monitoring sheets for anything that needs them and any of the plethora of forms we now need to keep for OH&S, health dept, worksafe etc. Maybe then once a year we could download anything we need to so we have a hard copy available if the computer system is down. They can be relevant to each state and they will be all the same for every school in that state. Is this too logical or what!!!! I certainly didn't sign onto this job to be constantly having to keep the paper trail going. I too would rather be helping the kids to learn.
:-?
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Everything you need for reference to safe workplace practice within science and indeed the whole school is available from Chemwatch Gold (always being updated and linked to the DET portal) and the Workcover Authority (for your state) websites - there is no need to access any other websites as most msds on Chemwatch are manufacturer specific and cover all chemicals etc we are and aren't allowed to keep. It's easy to feel bogged down with pressure to remain up to date and that's why these 2 websites cover us and what we do. Workcover makes the rules and enforces them to the letter and provides us with the documents for download and easy reference, chemwatch gold is the tool provided for us to carry this out. Here in NSW when Chemwatch 1st started it was all on disc - 11 updates in the 1st 5 years which was unworkable as, as you said, it requires "someone" to update it at your location. We access it live on the net and the information is deemed to be correct at any time of viewing by anyone within a school - Ga's, oh & s committes, students, HT's - everyone as it is Government run and we in state schools are Government employed. Yes it is a hassle but a vital part of what we do.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Cuishie
State/Location: WA

Post by Cuishie »

Thanks for your input Richard, but once again, why can't the department just make it really easy for EVERYONE who could possibly need to access MSDS's and the like and have them centralised and on our computer desktops. We quite often have teachers teaching out of area, being a reasonably hard to staff school, and they would have no idea what to do if there was a crisis. We recently had an incident where a primary trained teacher, who now teaches science, had a problem and there was no-one else in the science block to help her and she had no idea, through no fault of her own, where to look for help. It was awful for all concerned and very traumatising for those involved even though it wasn't that major. Surely there has got to be an easier system that all staff can be made aware of, with it being able to be accessed with the click of a button. Even the most competant of us struggle with where to go for what and it differs between states so it really needs to be managed by each state. As for being able to access chemwatch gold, I have been a lab assistant for 14 years, never new it existed, and don't know how to get in through the "DET portal", whatever that might be!!! I am sure that I am not the least chemical information literate person in the school system but it all confusues the hell out of me and I have attended training to try and keep up with it all. Hopefully there will a solution to the headaches in the near future.
Also, I have to say, this is a great place for sharing information and solving problems.
Leanne :-?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I believe W.A and many of the other states, have different law's & regulartions. NSW is a little different again, we have to use Chemwatch. Perhaps one day they will put us all on the same level (So to speak). We really do not mean to confuse you all, but the NSW system can be a little confusing at times, and takes a few training days to get ones head around it all.

Regards
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Indeed. Contact your state office of Education. If a site is available for current up to date information regarding ANY chemical you use they will let you know. I would be very surprised if the other states still resort to sending out discs in the hope that all educational institutions install them at the same time and are therefore all on the same understanding of chemical safety. I obviously can only speak through experience of NSW but Qld, SA & Vic follow in a very similar vein to Workcover NSW legislation and work practice.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F