Splints?

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Splints?

Post by Merilyn1 »

What does everyone usually use for splints? I've had some different answers when I ask around.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Re: Splints?

Post by Loopy »

Hi,
I used to use paddle pop sticks which I cut to thinner strips (which was annoying because they didn't split evenly) but now I use wooden skewers. I cut the skewers in half in most cases and they last for a long time.
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
lada

Post by lada »

For H2 testing I use bamboo sticks or even toothpicks blu-tacked to bamboo sticks, so can be easily replaced .
For O2 testing I usually use soft (balsa )wood which is easier re-lit as a positive test.
Lada
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Usually paddle pop sticks and sometimes sartee sticks. I buy the paddle pop sticks in bulk (about 500 per pack) from a local office supply store that caters for schools. The pop sticks are also useful for stirring up the ingredients of slime. They are a multi-functional tool with an assortment of uses such as making bridges or catapults, etc. Every prep room should have a good supply of these.
The sartee sticks are more useful for drying styrofoam balls covered in paint (planets and moons). I use the styrofoam boxes that came with microscopes in them, as a base to stick the sartee sticks in so that the students painted balls can dry off without sticking to newspaper.
Lyn.

I used to cut the sticks in half to make them go further but sometimes they didn't split properly so in the end I just went with the whole stick. The students get the results just the same.
dime

Post by dime »

I have been known to collect dry twigs from the playground for splints. But pop sticks have been used when I have run out of the twigs.